Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anyone have a Patriot Pyro? Reliability concerns

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2012 2:02:19 AM

I'm about to purchase my first SSD and I can get a Patriot pyro for about $10 cheaper than an OCZ agility 3 (120 GB varieties). So it seems like a good deal to me, seeing as both drives use the same sandforce controller and async memory interface.

However, this review suggests the pyro causes some blue-screen errors occasionally:
http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/patriot-me...

Does anyone else have this issue? Would recent firmware releases have fixed the problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Best solution

a c 260 G Storage
January 6, 2012 8:46:40 PM

The issue is with the Sandforce controller so theoretically it should affect both drives similarly. OCZ a few months back announced new firmware to take care of the issue but I do not know if it is a fact, I would assume the same goes for all manufacturers using the SF controller.
January 7, 2012 4:07:37 AM

Yes I've noticed Patriot has released firmware on their website which "addresses" the issue (hopefully that means "fixed"). So I guess you're saying no reliability would be gained from going with OCZ.

One more thing: my system has a P55 based motherboard. Should I update the mobo's BIOS beforehand as well to reduce the chances of getting BSODs? Many thanks.
Related resources
a c 260 G Storage
January 7, 2012 11:27:15 AM

I personally never update BIOS unless I have to because of issues and recommend the same to others.
January 7, 2012 1:53:25 PM

Best answer selected by lubey.
January 7, 2012 1:57:06 PM

Okay I'll just leave it as is and hope for the best! Probably gonna go for the patriot at this stage, even though it's only $5 which separates the two.
!