Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2010 1:53:25 PM

My non-overclocked Intel Q6600 is overheating. I've tried to remove the dust that was in my (stock) cooler. The cores max temperatures from regular use range between 56 C and 71 C. When I play games it sometimes becomes so hot that the computer shuts down completely. I had the problem a while back as well and cleaning out dust from the cooler fixed the problem. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem temporarily before I buy a new cooler?

More about : cpu overheating

a c 105 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 1:55:20 PM

did you try to re-seat the cooler? it may have loosen up.
March 20, 2010 2:04:44 PM

I just checked. It won't move at all if I try to wiggle it so it should be tight enough.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 2:05:03 PM

If the cooler is well seat, then maybe you have a big problem with the refrigeration of the case. If it doesn't feed cold air and takes out hot air, the cooler can't do its job properly.
March 20, 2010 2:19:44 PM

That might actually be the problem. My CM Centurion 534 only has one outtake fan back and the intake fan in the door doesn't work. I don't actually have the door on right now to see what happens. The core temperatures are ranging from 41-52 C now at about 5 % load on core 0 and 2 (which is the hottest of the cores), 1% on core 1 and 3% on core 3. The temperature is consistent with the load.

I'm planning on buying a new chassis, cpu-cooler and chassis fans soon though. Do you think that will help?
March 20, 2010 3:12:14 PM

No need to replace the chassis - just replace the broken fan, then actually install one behind the front cover if there isn't one already installed there. Cooler Master actually has 2-packs of their LED and 4-packs of their standard 120mm case fans available at almost a steal of a price.
Standard R4 120mm 4-pack $19 w/ shipping
Twin-Pack of 120mm R4 Blue LED $16 w/ shipping

I might also suggest completely removing and cleaning of the CPU HS/Fan, then reinstalling it. You'll need to pickup some thermal paste, though. Many people will swear by Arctic Silver 5, but I actually prefer to use either their Ceramique, or Cooler Master's ThermalFusion.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 3:25:19 PM

Yes, I forgot the paste. The Arctic Silver 5 and the Arctic Cooling ARCTIC MX-3 are very good options.
I'm using the SIlver 5 one and I'm very happy.
March 21, 2010 2:46:32 PM

I managed to fix the door fan but I still have heat issues. My PSU is non-modular and I have no cable management holes in the chassis so I doubt I will get a decent airflow in it. Therefor I will be buying a new chassis as well. The CM 690 II Advance seems like a good choice. It has all the features I've been looking for and it's cheaper than any of the other chassis I've been looking at. Thinking of buying two Noctua NF-S12B (one bottom intake and one top exhaust) and one Noctua NF-R8 intake at the side behind the motherboard tray. The Xigmatik Dark Knight-s1283 seems like a decent CPU-cooler for a good price.

I'm also concidering upgrading my system all together. Here are the components I'm looking at right now:

ASUS P7P55D
Intel i5-750
WD Caviar Black 1TB
OCZ Gold 4GB
Win 7 Home Pro 64 bit OEM
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compounds

I don't know if I should make a new thread for advice on the components though.
March 21, 2010 2:48:48 PM

Also, I have a Fortron/Source Epsilon 700w. Do I need to upgrade my PSU as well?
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2010 4:33:35 PM

wulm91 said:
Also, I have a Fortron/Source Epsilon 700w. Do I need to upgrade my PSU as well?

It has a poor internal cooling solution but, on the other hand, it has a very high efficiency. it's a good psu. You won't have any problem with the new configuration.
March 25, 2010 7:51:56 PM

Great, thanks!
!