Sign in with
Your question

HD5770 - Which one to go for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2010 9:10:27 AM

I have pretty much decided that this is the card I want (Power to Price Ratio)

Just that now there is soooo much choice of which producer to buy it from...

MSI
Sapphire
XFX
BFG
ATI
Gainward

... the list seems endless!

I want a card that is of a very good quality build but also must have a good cooling system as my case, altho fairly well vented, is not a gaming case with fancy cooling systems. Its a brand new HP 6200 Pavilion series (HP6235uk)

Any suggestions guys??

Thanks in advance

More about : hd5770

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 9:19:20 AM

i have never seen a bfg ati card ever, but go for xfx
January 9, 2010 9:37:37 AM

Apologies, I was just randomly typing out companies to get the point across that there are many to choose from.
Why XFX? What makes them stand out from the rest?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 11:01:13 AM

I think if you are considering price to performance then you should go for sapphire as their cards are generally priced lower than the rest...
sapphire hd5770-$180
asus 5770-$184
xfx 5770-$180

although the actual market prices may vary from place to place
a c 126 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 11:49:26 AM

Yeah!!! HALO 3
a c 1406 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 12:37:16 PM

Buy the cheapest! Just make sure it has 2 years warranty minimum.
January 9, 2010 4:49:15 PM

catch440 said:
I want a card that is of a very good quality build but also must have a good cooling system...

I would suggest, given your comments that you get a Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X. Sapphire specifically mention that they have upgraded the quality of some of the components on this card. Additionally it comes with a special 'evaporative' cooling system that reviewers agree is highly efficient. It typically runs quite a few degrees cooler than other 5770s, and this also allows it to be very quiet as the fan can run slowly.

It is not a reference 5770, and as such carries a small price premium. The premium depends on the market, where I am that premium is not very big. I suggest you google for reviews and details and the best price you can get on the 5770 Vapor-X.

By the way, I currently intend to buy it for my upcoming build.
January 9, 2010 7:39:36 PM

Quote:
XFX!!!! XFX!!!! XFX!!!! XFX!!!! (etc)
OK, I don't know what the OP thinks of this post, but I'm going to find it difficult to avoid sounding a little irritated.

What part of this post was useful? I post a reasoned response to the OPs question, and it then gets followed with this kind of tripe. How is this childish fanboyism and simplistic brand loyalty remotely helpful to the OP or anyone else? Are you an XFX employee, or relative of one?

Why not post your experiences with XFX cards? A comparison of top brands current warranties, or something genuinely helpful?

As the OP said in a previous post "why XFX? What makes them stand out from the rest?" You've got to answer that question. There may be a good answer, so then give it!

I'm not against XFX, but I still think the Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X most closely matches the OPs exact request (depending on his exact budget), for the reasons I gave in my post above.
January 9, 2010 7:45:39 PM

Quote:
XFX is clearly the best.

Again, no it isn't clear AT ALL.

Can you please back up what is clearly just an ASSERTION with some reason, evidence, or helpful information.
January 9, 2010 7:57:30 PM

Quote:
BUT THEY LOOK SO HOT. Im masturbating while looking at my HD 4890.

???? Well this post speaks for itself.

In an effort to add some more helpful information for the OP, I would like to mention that if he DID decided to get an XFX 5770, then there is an article here: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=664
that catch440 might do well to have a look at.

I still think he should check out the Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X as well, as another option and seek out several different reviews of it (easy to find on Google).
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 7:59:58 PM

xfx has the best warranty (if card is registered in 30 days of purchase)
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 8:00:22 PM

The only real difference between cards is the fan/heatsink, the warranty and, of course, the price.
January 9, 2010 8:08:28 PM

@Okini55: The OP expressed no preference for shiny. Nor are they buying a 4890 as they clearly stated.

The XFX warranty fanatics should take a look at this:
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/618950-...
and should consider whether the people they are speaking to might actually come from somewhere other than the United States of America.

The OP said about their computer:
"Its a brand new HP 6200 Pavilion series (HP6235uk) " I don't know, but the last two letters on that product code might be a little clue.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 8:19:14 PM

but if you not in the US get the msi since is has the best tweakability
a c 231 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 8:20:06 PM

I'd recommend stepping up to a 4890....the 5770 is outclassed by the 260 and 4870, so much so that their prices are climbing weekly. Though anandtech puts it at 4130, IMP, the 5770 needs to break the $150 barrier (from a quality vendor) to find a niche of its own.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=14

The value of the 5770 in particular is clearly not going to be in its performance. Compared to AMD’s 4870, it loses well more than it wins, and if we throw out Far Cry 2, it’s around 10% slower overall. It also spends most of its time losing to NVIDIA’s GTX 260, which unfortunately the 4870 didn’t have so much trouble with. AMD clearly has put themselves in to a hole with memory bandwidth, and the 5770 doesn’t have enough of it to reach the performance it needs to be at. If you value solely performance in today’s games, we can’t recommend the 5770. Either the 4870 1GB or the GTX 260 would be the better buy.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 8:42:18 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
the 5770 is outclassed by the 260 and 4870, so much so that their prices are climbing weekly.
[/i] Their prices are going up because production has been stopped or lowered, it has nothing to do with the HD5770 which is VERY close in performance and much better than either in terms of features.
You keep quoting a conclusion based on both old irrelevant pricing and beta drivers. It's misleading
January 9, 2010 8:57:46 PM

Hi guys,
First of all thanks for your posts n advice - really appreciated!

At the mo I am undecided between the sapphire and the XFX... both good cards... the XFX seems SLIGHTLY better in performance but the Sapphire has the advantage of its cooling system and quiet fan.

Altho I would like the GTX260, I'm affraid its just out of my price range... but also I fear it maybe too big for my case (and possibly generate too much heat) where as the 5770 is a smaller card and generates less heat. The 4870 altho being a fantastic card is not dX11 to my knowledge - which is something I wanted.

Altho I love my gaming (Left 4 dead, flight sim X, COD etc) I'm no hardcore gamer so therefore not interested in optimum settings... just good graphics that would be future proof for a year, maybe two.

I apologise if I caused a bit of friction between you guys (was not my intention) but then a lil debate is good for the soul i guess :0)

5770 is for me... but guess a lil more research is needed to decide which one!

Thanks again
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 9:02:31 PM

catch440 said:
the XFX seems SLIGHTLY better in performance but the Sapphire has the advantage of its cooling system and quiet fan.

Unless one of them has a factory overclock the performance should be exactly the same. Even if there is a factory OC it isn't worth paying for as it can almost definitely be easily duplicated(most likely significantly bettered) using the overclocking function of the catalyst control center on any HD5770 you might buy.
January 9, 2010 9:10:04 PM

catch440 said:
I apologise if I caused a bit of friction between you guys (was not my intention) but then a lil debate is good for the soul i guess :0)

The friction wasn't your fault at all. That was the fault of someone who decided to make some very silly posts, and my reacting to them. They were possibly trying to egg me on.

Anyway, what gave you the idea that XFX offered a superior performance stock 5770, or are you talking about a factory overclocked model?

The Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X which I mentioned has the special cooling system (be careful, Sapphire also do a model without it) has been very slightly overclocked so if anything it offers an (extremely small) performance advantage, not the XFX.

The very cool temperatures at which Sapphire's Vapor-X model runs also offers the most headroom for further overclocking. Bear in mind though that a 5770s fairly narrow bandwidth of 128 bit means that the card does not reward overclocking as much as some other cards.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 10:44:46 PM

b82 said:
Bear in mind though that a 5770s fairly narrow bandwidth of 128 bit means that the card does not reward overclocking as much as some other cards.

Actually overclocking should include the memory. If I remember properly the memory OCs even better than the core on that card so OCing should help relieve any bandwidth issues, not make them more of an issue.
January 10, 2010 7:11:52 AM

b82: The reason I believe the XFX performs slightly better is because I read a benchmark review online where they pitched the 2 cards against each other... Altho I dont think either of the cards were overclocked for the test. Link Below.

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_conte...

Its quite difficult to pull the 2 cards apart from the review.. but like I said - the Sapphire does have the added bonus of its unique cooling system.

Thanks for the info on overclocking guys, but I never have really overclocked a card... just shove the thing in and off I go ha!

5770 pi**ing all over the GTX 260!? Really? Must say I'm a little surprised... thought the 260 was a better card no?

Does the fact the bit rate is lower (128) on the 5770 than other cards? I heard it dosent due to other features on this card being high. ie. the bit rate doesnt have to be 256.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 7:20:58 AM

The HD5770 uses DDR5 ram which helps make up for the 128 bit bus somewhat.
Both of the cards in that article you linked have a factory overclock. As I said earlier factory overclocks don't really matter and can be easily duplicated. Basically all HD5770s perform exactly the same. The important differences between the various cards are the cooler, warranty and most importantly IMO, price.
January 10, 2010 7:34:40 AM

Ah yes, the DDR5 - Thats what I heard!
And yeah they do all seem to perform the same (ish)... got a tough decision here as the prices are pretty much the same too. The size of the card might be a decision breaker as my base unit is not massive... but by the looks of things the sizes are the same too - help!! ha!
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 7:45:59 AM

that 5770 is very overclocked tho thats the asus voltage tweak version(overclocking covered but the warranty), but i like the msi cards cuz msi has the overclocking facility msi afterburner wich is actually very good
January 10, 2010 8:05:05 AM

Yeah that looks pretty good jyjjy...
Am lookin at this one too

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-5770-hd-850...

Seems to me there is not much difference between 5770 cards so now am googling companies... and not many have a bad word to say about XFX

Not mind spending a tenner more if it means I'm gonna have a reliable card... with a good guarantee

What do you think of the XFX in the link?
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 8:10:24 AM

It's a good card but I doubt it's particularly more reliable. Both companies have a very good reputation. In the US you get a nice lifetime warranty with XFX but I don't believe that is the case in Europe.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 8:19:56 AM

will you ever go crossfire with 2x5770?
January 10, 2010 8:25:57 AM

So if thats the case... (Both cards now similar in performace, size, quality and price)

My decision is now based on whether I pay a lil extra for the Vapor-X (as my PC does not have any special gamer cooling system)

What do you guys think?
Vapor cooling from the benchmark tests seems to make a significant difference...
Would it be worth the extra 15/20pounds??
January 10, 2010 8:30:25 AM

I havent looked into crossfire...
Prob not tho - I think my system would be powerful enough for me once i got this card.

My Specs
i5 Win7 x64
4Gb DDR3 1333
640Gb HD
GPU HD 5770
PSU 550w

oh and just seen the sapphire vapor-x going for £125 - so same price as the XFX i was looking at :0)
a c 126 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 8:40:22 AM

I'd go for the Vapor X, IMO it offers more at the same price point.
January 10, 2010 9:44:59 AM

I would go with XFX. However Sapphire is not bad either. they both offer good warranties and price per performance. I had an XFX 4890 that went bad and XFX said they will replace it. Shop around, check out different websites reviews and compare price for bang to your liking. Hope this helps.
a c 231 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 3:15:23 PM

jyjjy said:
Their prices are going up because production has been stopped or lowered, it has nothing to do with the HD5770 which is VERY close in performance and much better than either in terms of features.
You keep quoting a conclusion based on both old irrelevant pricing and beta drivers. It's misleading

In the history of GFX, no driver upgrade has ever solved a bandwidth shortcoming. The 260 and 4870 are climbing simply because the 5770 is $40 overpriced. From same article.

Our jobs would be made much easier if AMD had either made the 5770 perform at parity with the 4870, or made the 5770 cheaper. Right now on a good deal we can swing a 4870 for $140, while the 5770 will be sticking to $160. That’s 14% more for a card that performs 10% worse. If we take a linear extrapolation, the 5770 needs to be at around $130 to win on performance alone, or at the very least $140 so that we can talk solely about the 10% performance loss versus the extra functionality of the 5770.

So here’s the bottom line for the 5770: Unless you absolutely need to take advantage of the lower power requirements of the 40nm process (e.g. you pay a ton for power) or you strongly believe that DirectX 11 will have a developer adoption rate faster than anything we’ve seen before for DirectX, the 1GB 4870 or GTX 260 is still the way to go

Given the current prices, the entire $155 category from the December roundup is now overpriced. I'd move up or down one category rather than put my $$ down on the gouging.
a c 1406 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 3:24:58 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
In the history of GFX, no driver upgrade has ever solved a bandwidth shortcoming. The 260 and 4870 are climbing simply because the 5770 is $40 overpriced. From same article.

Our jobs would be made much easier if AMD had either made the 5770 perform at parity with the 4870, or made the 5770 cheaper. Right now on a good deal we can swing a 4870 for $140, while the 5770 will be sticking to $160. That’s 14% more for a card that performs 10% worse. If we take a linear extrapolation, the 5770 needs to be at around $130 to win on performance alone, or at the very least $140 so that we can talk solely about the 10% performance loss versus the extra functionality of the 5770.

So here’s the bottom line for the 5770: Unless you absolutely need to take advantage of the lower power requirements of the 40nm process (e.g. you pay a ton for power) or you strongly believe that DirectX 11 will have a developer adoption rate faster than anything we’ve seen before for DirectX, the 1GB 4870 or GTX 260 is still the way to go

Given the current prices, the entire $155 category from the December roundup is now overpriced. I'd move up or down one category rather than put my $$ down on the gouging.

We are past the Holiday season and the inflated prices of the new tech have started to come down http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
January 10, 2010 4:39:48 PM

All these cards we're talking about... how do they fare when it comes to Win7 x64 compatability? Is there anything I should be aware of? Been reading some threads with users claiming there having problems with the card (5770 & others) crashing the system and lines appearing on the screen. All have said they have Win7 x64!

Also, to some of the guys who have just joined this particular thread - my base unit is not big or a gaming unit... so looking for a card that aint massive and dont produce too much heat!
January 10, 2010 5:31:29 PM

jyjjy said:
Actually overclocking should include the memory. If I remember properly the memory OCs even better than the core on that card so OCing should help relieve any bandwidth issues, not make them more of an issue.

You might like to read this article's conclusion here:
http://techgage.com/article/sapphire_radeon_hd_5770_vap...

While generally very positive, they do however say: "what wasn't to be expected was the lack of real performance gains with such an impressive overclock."

Whether correctly or not I don't know, but they blame this on the bandwidth.

@Catch 440: don't worry about this bandwidth point, all 5770 have the same 128 bit memory bandwidth.

Regarding the point you've just raised about Win 7 X64, I haven't heard of anything, but then you have so perhaps I've missed something. I would say that ATI have been releasing updates to their Catalyst drivers at reasonable regular intervals, and would hope that any problems such as you've mentioned would get sorted out pretty quick, if they haven't already been.

Edit: I'd just like to add that the HD5770 and Windows 7 were released around about the same time. A Release Candidate for Win7 and betas of good quality were around for many months. Everyone had Win7 down as the point at which there would be wide spread adoption of 64 bit operating systems. I would therefore be extremely unimpressed if ATI/AMD did not do extensive X64 compatibility testing before they released their new 5000 series cards.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 5:50:21 PM

b82 said:
You might like to read this article's conclusion here:
http://techgage.com/article/sapphire_radeon_hd_5770_vap...

While generally very positive, they do however say: "what wasn't to be expected was the lack of real performance gains with such an impressive overclock."

Whether correctly or not I don't know, but they blame this on the bandwidth.

Hmm. They overclocked the core 12% and it seems accurately reflected in most of those benchmarks. Not quite sure what they were complaining about.
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 6:08:05 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

Yes, the memory bandwidth is weaker than most cards in it's performance sector. I have no idea why you think that will make a performance increase due to going from beta to mature drivers impossible like happens with every card. If the memory bandwidth was such a limit the card would gain nothing from being crossfired but instead it scales very well. And once again you quoting something based on blatantly outdated pricing. The days of $150 HD4870s and GTX 260s are over and have been for months. Why do you keep bringing it up and quoting an article that bases its conclusion on it? It really is misleading. When it first came out and was $20 more expensive than the HD4870 it actually was bad recommendation for the money IMO and that was going against popular opinion at the time. Now that the prices have reversed though it's the obvious choice. Blaming the price shift on the HD5770 sounds unlikely at best and holding it against the card just makes it sound like you have some sort of irrational bias against it. Even if they were priced the same the HD5770s DX11 compatibility and great power efficiency would make it a reasonable choice despite the (overstated at this point) 10% performance difference. Now that the HD5770 starts at $25-30 less that the HD4870 or GTX 260, which are now barely cheaper than the HD4890, they simply make no sense imo. As most people on the board seem to realize the HD5770 and HD4890 are the two cards worth recommending in the $150-200 price range.
!