This seller crazy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

This guy in California's pimping an IBM Thinkpad 560X, No battery, no H.D,
boot errors

$25 shipping and handling for 2 POUNDS ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3494359726&rd=1
Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?

-RP

---

"RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> This guy in California's pimping an IBM Thinkpad 560X, No battery, no H.D,
> boot errors
>
> $25 shipping and handling for 2 POUNDS ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3494359726&rd=1
> Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?
>
> -RP

Actually, it says there is a 2.1 GB HD and I don't see mention of boot
errors. Also, padding the S/H costs on Ebay is just a way to lower listing
and selling fees. It's against Ebay rules but unless it's really egregious,
there's not much that can be done. The seller can always argue the costs of
handling: time, box, packing materials etc.

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:19:18 GMT, "RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net>
wrote:

>Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?

Last time I checked - yes.
Emanuel

Ian S wrote:
> "RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>This guy in California's pimping an IBM Thinkpad 560X, No battery, no H.D,
>>boot errors
>>
>>$25 shipping and handling for 2 POUNDS ?
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3494359726&rd=1

Shipping weight isn't listed, as far as I can see. Two pounds seems
awfully light, even if it is stripped down. *Decent* packaging should
add at least a pound to the package weight.

>>Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?
>>
>>-RP
>

> Actually, it says there is a 2.1 GB HD and I don't see mention of boot
> errors. Also, padding the S/H costs on Ebay is just a way to lower listing
> and selling fees. It's against Ebay rules but unless it's really egregious,
> there's not much that can be done. The seller can always argue the costs of
> handling: time, box, packing materials etc.

I really doubt such a seller would "negotiate" S&H fees once the auction
is over. After all, placing a bid assumes you fully understand and agree
to *ALL* the seller's terms.

Still, I've dealt with S&H "gougers" in the past, and have taken it up
with a USPS rep near my area. For those sellers who charge outrageous
S&H fees (USPS), I was advised to notify the USPS branch near the
seller's area to file a report so they could investigate. But even then,
the seller could argue that the "excess" goes to "handling,"
"packaging," "processing," etc.

In the end it's like you said, there's not much that can be done...
except to browse for similar items from sellers who are FAR more
reasonable with their S&H policies.

"EM" <1@1.1> wrote in message
> Ian S wrote:
> > "RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>This guy in California's pimping an IBM Thinkpad 560X, No battery, no
H.D,
> >>boot errors
> >>
> >>$25 shipping and handling for 2 POUNDS ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3494359726&rd=1

> Shipping weight isn't listed, as far as I can see. Two pounds seems
> awfully light, even if it is stripped down. *Decent* packaging should
> add at least a pound to the package weight.
>

> >>Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?
> >>
> >>-RP
> >

> > Actually, it says there is a 2.1 GB HD and I don't see mention of boot
> > errors. Also, padding the S/H costs on Ebay is just a way to lower
listing
> > and selling fees. It's against Ebay rules but unless it's really
egregious,
> > there's not much that can be done. The seller can always argue the costs
of
> > handling: time, box, packing materials etc.
>
> I really doubt such a seller would "negotiate" S&H fees once the auction
> is over. After all, placing a bid assumes you fully understand and agree
> to *ALL* the seller's terms.

That's not what I meant. Postage is only one component of S/H and I meant to
convey that the seller with a high S/H charge can argue that it is due to
the cost of the box, padding and other shipping materials not to mention the
time to actually do it. I'm not arguing that the seller is right to do so
but if questioned he or she can make that argument. IMHO, $15-16 S/H for the
item is more reasonable - I suspect the package will tip the scales at just
over 4 lbs which USPS will treat as 5 lbs.

> Still, I've dealt with S&H "gougers" in the past, and have taken it up
> with a USPS rep near my area. For those sellers who charge outrageous
> S&H fees (USPS), I was advised to notify the USPS branch near the
> seller's area to file a report so they could investigate. But even then,
> the seller could argue that the "excess" goes to "handling,"
> "packaging," "processing," etc.
>
> In the end it's like you said, there's not much that can be done...
> except to browse for similar items from sellers who are FAR more
> reasonable with their S&H policies.

I think you'll find that most people take the S/H costs into consideration
when they bid so the seller may get more S/H but lose some on final auction
price.

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Highly inflated S&H on E-Bay is not uncommon. In an extreme case, I've
seen an item sold for $1 with a $100 shipping cost. Now why would
anyone do this? Well, E-Bay gets a commission on the SELLING PRICE, but
they get nothing from the shipping cost. There's an argument (I don't
buy it, but there's an argument) that the breakdown of price vs.
shipping cost is irrelevant, only the total amount matters. And there
are people who also just don't read the "fine print" before bidding.

Take a look in the Computers / Software / Operating System category at
offers for OEM copies of Windows XP (Home or Pro). These can be shipped
in an envelope for just over $1.00, they weigh 3 or 4 ounces (including
a shipping envelope). MOST of the sellers are charging $10 to $20 for
shipping.

There are many other items as well that have highly inflated shipping
costs. Any item under 2 lbs can be shipped Priority Mail (which is
basically 2nd-day air service) anywhere in the US for $3.85. It is,
however, unusual to find shipping costs of less than about $7, even for
the smallest/lightest items.

> There are many other items as well that have highly inflated shipping
> costs. Any item under 2 lbs can be shipped Priority Mail (which is
> basically 2nd-day air service) anywhere in the US for $3.85.

Not true. It has to be 1 lb or less. One to two lbs costs $5.75.

It is,
> however, unusual to find shipping costs of less than about $7, even for
> the smallest/lightest items.

Well, just about anything requiring a box is going to weigh over a lb and so
you're talking $5.75 to ship it USPS. Add a buck or so for the box and
packing material and there you are.

Joe

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> I suspect the package will tip the scales at just
> over 4 lbs which USPS will treat as 5 lbs.

I have a 560X Here, without a battery about 3.2 pounds, dimensions of 300
sheets printer paper.

---

"Joe" <joe.amp@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> > I suspect the package will tip the scales at just
> > over 4 lbs which USPS will treat as 5 lbs.
>
> I have a 560X Here, without a battery about 3.2 pounds, dimensions of 300
> sheets printer paper.

Well there's no way to get it packaged up under 4 lbs which means it will be
treated as 5 lbs. If you err on the careful side and use a large box with
plenty of peanuts, you could actually go over 5 lbs.

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Highly inflated S&H on E-Bay is not uncommon. In an extreme case, I've
> seen an item sold for $1 with a $100 shipping cost. Now why would
> anyone do this? Well, E-Bay gets a commission on the SELLING PRICE, but
> they get nothing from the shipping cost. There's an argument (I don't
> buy it, but there's an argument) that the breakdown of price vs.
> shipping cost is irrelevant, only the total amount matters. And there
> are people who also just don't read the "fine print" before bidding.
>
> Take a look in the Computers / Software / Operating System category at
> offers for OEM copies of Windows XP (Home or Pro). These can be shipped
> in an envelope for just over $1.00, they weigh 3 or 4 ounces (including
> a shipping envelope). MOST of the sellers are charging $10 to $20 for
> shipping.
>
> There are many other items as well that have highly inflated shipping
> costs. Any item under 2 lbs can be shipped Priority Mail (which is
> basically 2nd-day air service) anywhere in the US for $3.85. It is,
> however, unusual to find shipping costs of less than about $7, even for
> the smallest/lightest items.
>

> RP Jones wrote:
> > This guy in California's pimping an IBM Thinkpad 560X, No battery, no
H.D,
> > boot errors
> >
> > $25 shipping and handling for 2 POUNDS ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3494359726
&rd=1
> > Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?
> >
> > -RP
> >

> > ---

Just don't bid on items with inflated s & h fees. I was recently looking at
a IBM 600X TP and the guy wanted $50 S&H. I emailed him and pointed out that
FedEx sells a box for laptops for $10 and even at say 15lbs shipping
wouldn't be over $15 or so. He pretty much said bite me and that he padded
S&H for his profit. I did not bid of course. Now that Kinkos is owned by
FedEx using them will be easier.

E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message news:<pircg0pipdc33qb5ded0qm429n8p7q8evg@4ax.com>...
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:19:18 GMT, "RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Are that many stupid buyers on Ebay ?
>
> Last time I checked - yes.
> Emanuel

FYI, auction closed at $43, add $25 shipping meaning someone bought
this thing for $68.

figure $20 for an AC adapter, $20-$30 for a used battery, and this
person could be at $120 for a P200 laptop with 2.1GB HD.

Last time I looked (about 5 months ago) there were scads of 560x
laptops (P233, 4GB) with all the parts for about $100, S&H included.

Rich

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sellers is a wiseguy
Now he is selling a 600A **WITH** a battery + CD-ROM
$20 shipping and handling ($5 less and its almost double the weight)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42203&item=3495453120
Ebay should look into this racket

"RP Jones" <revRP@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message news:<2JPNc.1780$Mr3.1587@trndny08>...
> Sellers is a wiseguy
> Now he is selling a 600A **WITH** a battery + CD-ROM
> $20 shipping and handling ($5 less and its almost double the weight)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42203&item=3495453120
> Ebay should look into this racket

Nah, seller is being open with his shipping costs as it is disclosed
in the listing. Whether it is fair and reasonable amount is arguable.

I didn't check to see how it is being shipped, but if it is like UPS
he won't be able to ship for less than about $12. If he buys new
boxes and packing materials, he might be getting close to $20 (tho'
$15 is more reasonable, like someone else said).

I think it's a racket when the seller does not disclose a price, then
dumps a high S&H after the auction ends (unless the ad is specific,
like "add $25 to the actual shipping costs to cover processing and
packing materials" - that way, you'll have some idea that you're about
to pay some hefty S&H)

Maybe he's been following this thread and decided to drop his S&H a
bit, eh?

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

YEP, Perhaps he's come to his senses and found he could get free boxes
behind his local supermarket, junkstore
Dumb Californians, You have to show them everything
No wonder the place is all screwed up, complaining about the forest's and
bankrupt !
-RP

"Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message > Maybe he's been
following this thread and decided to drop his S&H a
> bit, eh?

---

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Agreed, people just give away obsolete junk before it worth nothing and make
the money shipping.
I been looking, it all over the web a swell as Ebay, just about ALL all the
"discount" electronic camera stores.
Here in NYC most all the mid eastern owned "discount Electronic" stores will
only ship stuff (You cant pick up)

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-one?neighbor_to_neighbor_id=90620
These web stores deliberately ship defective camera's and laptops to keep
the shipping charges, when a customer calls back and say "I never received
my replacement" they say "that model is out of stock how about this....model
its better " Then refund less the $50 shipping charge

This guys is asking $9.95 shipping for a 14 oz ThinkPad 560 keyboard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31568&item=3496928221&rd=1