Your question

New linux build need HELP with BIOS

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2010 4:35:09 AM

hi everyone
I have just finished putting together my new system it has the following components.
Intel Q9550 processor
Gigabyte ep45-ud3r motherboard ver 1.1 with a F11 BIOS
2x 1gb Corsair dominator pc2-8500 c5 memory (1066 MHz )
Diablotek 650 watt power supply
EVGA Nvida GeForce 9500 GT 1gb pci-e 2.0 vidio card
Sound Blaster Audigy2 platinum sound card
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm SATA hard drive
Sony DVD drive and Sony DVD burner (both hooked up to the one ide port on the mother board.)
3.5" Toshiba floppy disk drive
19" flat screen KDS monater
Logitek trackball mouse
101 key keybord

The operating system is duel booted with Ubuntu and Mepis Linux.

when I first started the system up with all the settings in BIOS set to auto from the factory the system buss was only running at 266 MHz
and if the system was shut down by holding in the power button till the system shut down (this was done due to crashed games) it would go into a start up loop and never reboot when turned back on. I learned that if I killed the power that this would reset whatever is causing this to happen on the motherboard. I set the system clock up to 333 MHz the CPU front side buss to a 8.5 multiplier and the memory to a 3.2 multiplier. and tried to run with the turbo setting for the memory but had a number of system crashes when playing the high end games in both Ubuntu and Mepis . I haven't had a chance to try the normal setting for the memory yet but with the 3.2 multiplier for the memory should only be running at 1065.6 MHz ( 333x3.2=1065.6) any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated!

More about : linux build bios

January 21, 2010 5:39:29 AM

Wait wait, just to be clear: what are your overclocking objectives? What exactly do you want to boost?
m
l
January 22, 2010 4:58:31 PM

sorry this will be put on hold for a while my mom just had a stroke so I will be gone for a while. thanks for your reply my objective is to over clock the memory.
m
l
!