Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU overheating and CPU fan @ around 4200 RPM

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2010 3:11:42 PM

I used the original mobo (IPIBL-lb) that came with HP and the fan was pretty quiet and the temp was around 30-40oC. Now since I changed the fan and mobo to P5KPL-CM the fan was very loud. The temperature was around 40-50oC. Is this normal for a CPU?
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 8:04:33 PM

Anything >70˚C is fine, but the lower, the better.

Did you use the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler?
Is the heatsink firmly mounted to the CPU (but not to the point that your CPU is being squashed!)?
Did you apply a small amount of thermal paste/TIM between the heatsink and CPU? Or was the TIM pre-applied?

Cheers.
m
l
March 21, 2010 12:41:39 AM

Zinosys said:
Anything >70˚C is fine, but the lower, the better.

Did you use the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler?
Is the heatsink firmly mounted to the CPU (but not to the point that your CPU is being squashed!)?
Did you apply a small amount of thermal paste/TIM between the heatsink and CPU? Or was the TIM pre-applied?

Cheers.

Yes I am using the stock cooler (coolermaster)
I am not sure if it is firmly mounted but I can tell you the psu wires is overloading the case.
I did not apply it I gave it to some technician to replace the mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2010 4:01:34 AM

Mmm... Well, run a program like the OCCT torture test:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/OCCT-(OverClock-Checking-Tool)-3.0.0-download-1880.html

...and see how high your temps go. Use a program like HWmonitor:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

...to check your temps while OCCT is running. If it is >70, then you need to call that technician! :) 

Cheers.
m
l
March 21, 2010 4:56:34 AM

When should I check the temp?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2010 4:58:04 AM

About a minute or two into the test should be fine. You don't want to run the risk of damaging your CPU, but at the same time you want an accurate measurement.

Five minutes in should be good. :) 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 21, 2010 5:00:47 AM

What alot of people forget about is the ambient temperature in your room will affect the temps. Just as little as a 5degrees difference in room temperature can throw your temps up 10 degrees. So when you are looking at your temps from day to day its a good idea to log the room temperature too. This is so often overlooked especially if you are going from one season to another.
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:06:16 AM

So it said 6 minutes is minimum and here are my results.
Here is the site to check out the pics.
EDIT: Do I need to clean the heatsink once in a while and btw I used this Asus fan controlling thingy on the bios and now its 2000RPM.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 12:06:28 AM

Sorry to keep you waiting. I noticed there are many different graphs. What do they all represent?
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:12:03 AM

Its the logs from OCCT not sure what it means but i dont really understand.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 12:19:30 AM

Alright, this might be a better, and more clear way of doing it. (to me at least. It's my stupid way, but I understand it. :p )

Get a copy of Prime95 and HWMonitor.

prime:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
hwmonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Write down the temp at idle, then start prime95 on all threads/cores, then take the temp every minute for five minutes.

Besides, I trust HWmonitor more than any other application (other than Everest) for sensors. But if you happen to have a fluke 116 lying around, then you can slap on your type-K thermocouple and get to work.

:p  Cheers.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:33:06 AM

I do use HWmonitor i changed from asus utlities to this one.
Btw this one is open case. When its close it might go up 10 or 5.
Quote:
Core 1 44°C
Core 2 45°C
Core 3 43°C
Core 4 42°C

Using Prime95
Quote:
1 minute
Core 1 61°C
Core 2 61°C
Core 3 61°C
Core 4 59°C
2 minute
Core 1 65°C
Core 2 63°C
Core 3 62°C
Core 4 60°C
3 minute
Core 1 67°C
Core 2 66°C
Core 3 66°C
Core 4 62°C
4 minute
Core 1 70°C
Core 2 70°C
Core 3 69°C
Core 4 68°C
5 minute
Core 1 72°C
Core 2 71°C
Core 3 70°C
Core 4 69°C
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 2:07:17 AM

Wow, nice!

Okay. So, those temps should be fine, but they could be a bit lower. If you're brave enough to reseat the heatsink, then you can go ahead and try that. Make sure there is a thin layer of thermal compound between the heatsink and the processor.

My threshold for Prime (because it is more than the average 100% load), is 76-78˚C.
Normal Load (encoding, Virtualization), my threshold is 72-74˚C.

Idle, those could be a bit lower. Open and 45˚C might be a problem, but it's well within the tolerance zone.

So, really nice job on recording the temps, that helps a lot! The bottom line is: if you want to, go ahead and try to reseat your heatsink. Make sure there is thermal compound between the HSF and processor. The best is to use an aftermarket compound like Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Cooling MX-3, and (my favorite) Shin-Etsu X23-7783D. :D 

If you don't want to bother reseating the heatsink, then you should be fine anyhow.

Cheers, and good luck!
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:14:58 AM

Zinosys said:
Wow, nice!

Okay. So, those temps should be fine, but they could be a bit lower. If you're brave enough to reseat the heatsink, then you can go ahead and try that. Make sure there is a thin layer of thermal compound between the heatsink and the processor.

My threshold for Prime (because it is more than the average 100% load), is 76-78˚C.
Normal Load (encoding, Virtualization), my threshold is 72-74˚C.

Idle, those could be a bit lower. Open and 45˚C might be a problem, but it's well within the tolerance zone.

So, really nice job on recording the temps, that helps a lot! The bottom line is: if you want to, go ahead and try to reseat your heatsink. Make sure there is thermal compound between the HSF and processor. The best is to use an aftermarket compound like Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Cooling MX-3, and (my favorite) Shin-Etsu X23-7783D. :D 

If you don't want to bother reseating the heatsink, then you should be fine anyhow.

Cheers, and good luck!

Oh yeah and btw i should show you a picture inside me pc. ITs a bit messy.
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 2:19:32 AM

Wow, I'm at a loss for words. O.O

Yes, doing a bit of cable management (in this case), no pun intended :D , will probably decrease your temps more than 10 degrees. :D 

It's surprising what a good cable management job can do. I remember when I had two ide cables, four PCI cards, and three scsi chains in my P4 system xD. I did some cable management, and my temps went down by more than 15C.

Cheers.
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:21:55 AM

I tried but its very stuffed because of the psu wires what should i do?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 2:33:52 AM

Eh, uhmm... Is it possible that you can route the cables through an empty expansion bay, let the slack stay there, and them run them out? That's one of the things I did. Other than that, I don't know. I'm used to regular ATX, not micro ATX, and smaller things are more challenging.

You can try to run the USB header cables under the mobo tray, then bring them back up. You can also try to put a few PSU wires under the PCI slots, (but don't obstruct the airflow of your GPU cooler!)

Is that PSU modular? Doubt it, but if so, you can detach some unused cables.

The main thing you should try is experiment. That's what really solved my problem. Try routing cables here and there, and bundling them together when the run in parallel.

Well, sorry for the lame answer :p , but cheers.
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:39:59 AM

Zinosys said:
Eh, uhmm... Is it possible that you can route the cables through an empty expansion bay, let the slack stay there, and them run them out? That's one of the things I did. Other than that, I don't know. I'm used to regular ATX, not micro ATX, and smaller things are more challenging.

You can try to run the USB header cables under the mobo tray, then bring them back up. You can also try to put a few PSU wires under the PCI slots, (but don't obstruct the airflow of your GPU cooler!)

Is that PSU modular? Doubt it, but if so, you can detach some unused cables.

The main thing you should try is experiment. That's what really solved my problem. Try routing cables here and there, and bundling them together when the run in parallel.

Well, sorry for the lame answer :p , but cheers.

I am using a HP computer case. Thats all the HP stuff that i have everything else ive upgradeed. And how do i check if its a PSU modular. I need to know how i could do all this stuff.
And btw i have this psu
Zinosys said:
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:03:27 AM

Oh ok then no. But is there any other way of better cable management?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:06:34 AM

Uhmm, see if you can undo the strap around the power cables, and route them from drive to drive, bundling them where possible. The excess cable will go in an empty drive bay or under your graphics card. If your case has cable management holes (which I doubt because it's a brand-name case) you can route the wires through them.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:10:19 AM

Lol its too stuffed up cause of the power supply do you know if a 500W psu would have lesser cables?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:12:11 AM

More likely more, but you can get a modular one.

This is one of the most popular 550W PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you seriously want to consider upgrading, that would be an option.
March 25, 2010 3:13:34 AM

do you know any coolermaster ones with this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:16:39 AM

Why Cooler Master? This is probably the best ~500W PSU, and after rebate, the price is right.

The only cooler master one I can find is 850W, $130 after rebate, and not as modular as the OCZ anyway.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:22:31 AM

Hmm, odd that newegg.ca doesn't have it, but YES! The price is right at NCIX. :D 

If you want it, go ahead and get it. For $35, it's a steal.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:25:32 AM

I don't trust mail in rebate so is it still a good price?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:27:48 AM

Mmhm. I think it's fair.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:28:27 AM

So will this solve the overheating issue?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:30:02 AM

It might help it. I'd suggest getting input from another community member just to double-check. If it can reduce some of the clutter in the case (which you will have to decide yourself), then it should lower the temps.

Cheers.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:32:07 AM

Thanks i definitely think this idea would work.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 3:33:07 AM

Cool. Good luck! :) 

Let us (or me, for that matter :p ) know the results after you put it in! :D 

Cheers.
m
l
March 25, 2010 9:31:12 PM

Best answer selected by Jason761.
m