Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New i5 build need a little help

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2010 6:04:25 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the week whenever i decide on a good build.

Budget range: (1100-1200 before rebates since case/dvd drive was 100) for a total 1300 +- 50

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: games, games,games surfing web and games like fallout3/dragon age/bfbc2/mw2/l4d2 id like to play with high/max settings

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case, dvd drive.
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tigerdirect (dont pay tax), unless theres a great item on newegg i live in California so tax sucks :( 

PARTS PREFERENCES: i5-750 compatible

OVERCLOCKING: Yes maybe to something like 3.2/3.5
SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Maybe doesnt matter

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: i recently posted about an am3 build but i changed to core i5 build. i now have the money to pull the trigger on a new system just have a few more questions. gonna list the parts i have picked out so far

OS Windows 7 OEM $104.99
CPU i5-750 $199.99
Motherboard MSI P55-GD65 $169.99 or
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P $189.99 not sure which one to get i dont really care for the sata/usb 3.0 if thats the only difference here i could save $20.
HSF Cooler Master Hyper N520 $39.99
I also see great recommendations for COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 $32.46 with tax
Ram Heres were i get confused about ram timings/cas i also saw somewhere that i5 cant have 8gb of 1600 so u should get 1333 so with that i picked this ram G.SKILL Ripjaws $114.99
Psu CORSAIR 650TX $97.41 Before $20 rebate
Hard drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500gb $59.53
total price:
$915(taking the highest prices into account and my case/dvd drive) without a gpu.
with a xfx 5850 from newegg it will be $1258.45 i also have some fans/ocz free thermal past that equals $30

this is my first build and im ready to buy things :)  and work on this. thats the build i already have the nzxt m9 case and a dvd drive. im kinda planning on using my 9800 gt till nvidia's cards come out unless theres no point to lol if thats the case ill grab a 5850 now. is there any other better options for ram? and will this all work good together. my main concern is RAM/Motherboard/cooler and gpu situation. any help or opinions would be great.

More about : build

Best solution

January 15, 2010 11:38:54 AM

Mobo: I would get the Gigabyte board. You say that about USB3/SATA III now, but once the devices come out, you'll wish you had spent the $20.

Cooler: I really like the Hyper.

RAM: The 8 GB is only because 4 GB sticks are really expensive right now, and the boards for the i5 have 4 slots (i.e. 4x2 is 8). They can handle up to 16 GB (usually). They're some G.Skill 1600 mhz CL 7 sticks for the same price on Newegg. The tax shouldn't be that much for this to be a bad upgrade.

GPU: I'd go with the 5850 (or 5870 if you can afford it). The indications are that Fermi is going to be running really hot. They even had to team with Thermaltake to make special case for multiple card solutions. This means (at least to me) that they had to massively overclock the cards in the factory to compete, indicating that the ATI cards are much better.
January 15, 2010 11:44:55 AM

Looks good.

As far as I know you should be able to run 8GBs at 1600MHz with no problem. I think you just read some morons post and took it to heart.

I haven't read anything about that HSF yet so I can't really comment on it other than make sure that its a performer and that it will fit into your case.

Go ahead and use your 9800GT for now. nVidia may surprise us with their yet to be released cards. At least they better or ATi will have themselves a very profitable few years ahead of them.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 6:59:30 PM

ok thanks for the inputs i guess ill just grab some 1600 mhz low cas ram with the gigabyte board and hyper 212. as for the gpu i really dont like how nvidia has no information available still about specs which tells me they are still scrambling to make something good.
m
l
January 21, 2010 11:13:28 PM

Best answer selected by cfan.
m
l
!