Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair Obsidian 800D Liquid Cooled Dual Loop System

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 1:00:32 PM

So here it goes
My friend had recently build a computer, well he didn't I did for him.
I simply loved building it.

Here is the build log for his new system. It will be a liquid cooled PC with two loops. One for the CPU & Chipset, and one for the GPU (soon to be multiple GPUs). Housing the new build is the Corsair Obsidian 800D. This case is a monster, and I love the all black look, inside and out. I had to make a few minor modifications for the two loop system to work, but the mod went great, and I am pleased with the results.

Parts List:
  • Case Corsair Obsidian 800D Full ATX
  • Power Supply Corsair HX1000
  • Motherbord EVGA X58 Classified
  • CPU Intel i7 Core 920 @ 4.2GHz
  • RAM 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600MHz
  • GPU 1 (Nvidia 300 series in SLI once released) Currently - EVGA 8800 Ultra
  • GPU 2 (Nvidia 300 series in SLI once released)
  • GPU 3 EVGA 9800GT (Dedicated PhysX)
  • Sound Card Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Edition
  • Hard Drive 1 WD Velociraptor 150GB RAID0 (Operating System)
  • Hard Drive 2 WD Velociraptor 150GB RAID0 (Operating System)
  • Hard Drive 3 Seagate 500GB (User Files)
  • Hard Drive 4 Seagate 1TB (Storage)
  • Optical Drive Plextor Blu-Ray / DVD+R
  • Fan Controller Scythe Kaze Server 5.25" 4 Channel Fan Controller / Temp Display
  • Card Reader Silverstone FP35 housed in Lian Li 5.25” to 3.5” bay adapter

Loop 01 (Blue)
    Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)
    Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Blue
    Reservoir XSPC 5.25" Black Reservoir Bay w/ Blue LED
    Pump Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
    Radiator HardWare Labs GTX240
    CPU Block Swiftech GTZ
    MoBo Block EK-EVGA X58 Classified Full Board Waterblock
    Fittings Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x2)
    Fittings Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8" (x2)
    Fittings Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x4)
    Misc Parts Bitspower Acrylic T-Block, Bitspower Temp Sensor, Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
    Fans Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x3)

Loop 02 (Green)
    Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)
    Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Green
    Reservoir XSPC 5.25" Black Reservoir Bay w/ Green LED
    Pump Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
    Radiator HardWare Labs X-Flow Extreme III
    GPU Block Thermaltake NG-4 (Will update the GPU blocks once the new 300 series cards arrive)
    Fittings Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x4)
    Fittings Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8" (x2)
    Fittings Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x2)
    Misc Parts Bitspower Acrylic T-Block, Bitspower Temp Sensor, Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
    Fans Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x2)

I will post the pictures within the build log,

The case arrived in excellent condition. I knew the dimensions, but was still amazed as to how big it was.

Build_01

In order to make it work for my dual loop idea, I had to modify the bottom of the case to accept a radiator. For a more detailed work log on adding a bottom radiator, go here:
    http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81698
    In order to remove the bottom hard drive cage you must remove a total of 2 screws and 8 rivets. Two of the rivets must be replaced once the drive cage has been removed.

Build_02

Build_03

Build_04

Before adding the power supply, I applied some weather stripping material to the rails that will hold up the PSU to give a bit of cushion. I also used Vinyl Dye to make all the PSU cables jet black. I was planning on individually rel-sleeving all of the cables but decided against it after I tried on a test cable and realized how much of a pain in the ***** it was. I also didn’t want the added bulk of the individual sleeves. Vinyl Dye is not paint. It gets absorbed into the cable sleeve and turns everything black. Looks great and is really easy to apply.

Build_05

Next step was to remove the stock cooling from the EVGA X58 Classified and install a full board block from EK. It’s a great match for the board, and temps on the VREGs and Chipset are MUCH lower than with stock cooling.

Build_06

Build_07

I decided to go with the Swiftech GTZ for my CPU block. I didn’t like the shiny chrome look of the mounting brackets so I spray painted them black to better match the rest of the components.

Build_08

Just to get an idea of what it looks like, I threw in the 12GB of Dominator RAM along with the Corsair RAM Cooler.

Build_09

Build_10

Here you can see the tape job covering all the connectors, in preparation for the vinyl dye. The pump is also wrapped up there on the right.

Here are all the fan extensions that plug into the fan controller, dyed jet black.

These are the Swiftech MCP350 pumps that I will be using for the two loops. In the back is my oldie but goodie EVGA 8800 Ultra, with a WC block. It has a crappy thermaltake block that I bought 2 years ago when I was new to Liquid Cooling and didn't know any better. It isn't that great looking, and it will restrict the flow of the loop, but it sure lowers those temps well. It is on its own loop right now so the flow restriction shouldn't be too much of a problem. I wasn't going to drop the money for a new block when I want to upgrade to the Nvidia 300 series Cards (with some nice EK WC Blocks) in a few months as soon as they are released.

Here is what the CPU/Chipset loop will look like. I haven't mounted the top radiator yet, but you get the idea. You can see the two pumps sitting side by side behind the fan controller. Next bay up is the card reader. The two Reservoirs, and the Optical Drive.

Here is a pic of the front with all the bays installed.

Side shot with one loop partially installed, and all the PCIe / PCI slots filled with what I have. (1) Creative X-Fi Titanuim Fatal1ty Edition, (2) EVGA 8800 Ultra, (3) EVGA 9800GT (PhysX), (4) Wireless N Card.

Here you can see where the barb was in the way and how far it made the optical drive stick out. No bueno.

Here is the fix by switching the card reader with the optical drive.

Here is a shot of the tubing I used for this build. PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Tubing -3/8in. ID

I used two of these reservoirs, one for each loop. XSPC 5.25in Drive Bay Reservoir, Black face. They come stock with a blue LED, so on one of them I had to remove the blue LED and solder in a green one. These make for easy filling. Just slide it out of the computer a bit and fill via the fill port on the top of the res.

Here is the guy that was giving me all the problems. The X-Flow design means that there is one port on each side of the radiator. That way you don't have to run tubing across the PC case. I though it would make for an easier install, but that proved not to be true because of the barb issue.
    The fans are Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP. They push a lot of air, but can be a bit loud when maxed out. With the fan controller I have them at about 1,000RPM, and they are whisper quiet and still move plenty of air through the radiator. They do have blue LEDs but they are not very bright and give a soft blue glow to the inside of the case. I used 6-32 x 3/8" Socket Cap Head Screws to secure the fans to the radiator, and the radiator to the case.

These are the fan extensions cables that plug into the Scynth Kaze Server Fan Controller. I used vinyl dye to get them jet black. You can see them plugged in along with some of the temperature monitor cables.

For liquid I went with PrimoChill PC-Ice non-conductive fluid. UV blue and UV green to match the colors of the tubing.

Here is a shot of the two reservoirs right after I finished bleeding the loops.

Side shot of the system without it being powered on. Cable management was a dream on with this case. It still took some time to get everything exactly how I wanted, but the end result is the best I have ever had in a case.

Here is a front shot with the system powered on. The Reservoirs look really good with the LEDs shining behind them.

Diagonal shot while powered on.

Another side shot, this time while powered on.

Diagonal shot from the other side allowing you to see the reservoirs and pumps. I used more tubing than necessary on the GPU loop on the part where the GPU connects to the Radiator. I will be upgrading to the new Nvidia 300 series cards and will be using an SLI configuration, so I wanted to have enough room to mess around with the new install. I will cut to fit exactly when that time comes.

A side shot with the window in place and the UV cathodes turned on. I attached the cathodes to the windowed side panel. I had to splice the wires to make them long enough to be hidden well and also used the vinyl dye that I am so fond of to make them jet black.

The same shot with different lighting.

a b U Graphics card
    January 9, 2010 1:01:45 PM

Where are the pictures?
    I added them
    I wanted to show you all but it ain't workin'
    How to upload pics?
    Score
    a b U Graphics card
    January 9, 2010 1:10:20 PM

Score
    Related resources
    a b U Graphics card
    January 9, 2010 1:25:06 PM

Score
    December 16, 2010 5:02:20 PM

You know, maybe I should be flattered that you decided to copy my build log WORD FOR WORD and linking the pictures from my Flickr account, but it doesn't speak highly of you to take someone else's work and claim that it is your own.

If anyone would like to see the actual build log that he stole this from, check out the following link:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81684

I recently purchased two (2) EVGA GTX580 Hydro Coppers and an Intel i7-970 and will be updating my build log this weekend to show the upgrades.
    Score
    a c 273 U Graphics card
    December 16, 2010 6:25:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    Score
    !