Will I see the difference after upgrading RAM?

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,
I'm currently using 2x1GB DDR2-800 sticks on my motherboard, which only has two slots. After upgrading to Windows 7 from XP, my system has been using ~1gig of my ram while near idol/simply browsing the internet.

If I swap out a 1GB stick with a 2GB so that I have 3GB total, will I see a difference in performance? For example, lately, Bad Company 2 has been horrible with 2gb. Wil it be better when I have additional memory?

Thanks,
Markus

Solution
Hi.

1- Win 7 32 bits only needs 1GB but is recommendable 2GB or more for 32 bits and 3GB or more for 64 bits.
2- Not a big difference since if u install 3GB the mobo can't run it in dual channel, so are 3GB running in single channel and isn't good performance.

tecmo34

Administrator
1... Windows 7 does use more memory than XP but not a much as Vista, so you are lucky there :)

2... You will see some improvement with going with 3GB of memory (may just be a slight improvement), but you are more bottlenecked by your CPU and GPU on that game. The GTS 250 isn't the most powerful of GPU's and it looks like you are running an order Athlon chip, as well. To see a "big improvement", you'll need to look at upgrading those two areas of your system.

Hi.

1- Win 7 32 bits only needs 1GB but is recommendable 2GB or more for 32 bits and 3GB or more for 64 bits.
2- Not a big difference since if u install 3GB the mobo can't run it in dual channel, so are 3GB running in single channel and isn't good performance.

Solution

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
@tecmo34, i am looking at a cpu upgrade, but i want to take less expensive measures first. another thing is that i'm not trying to play games on max settings. i just want moderate-high gfx performance.

@saint19, if it's not running in dual channel, does that mean it's not fully using the whole 3gigs?

i'm using wint 7 pro 64bit btw. thx for the replies.

tecmo34

Administrator

You might be lucky and it'll support the Phenom II X4 940, since it is an AM2+ socket CPU.

So u think that is better have 12GB RAM that a good GPU. Nice man :lol:

Bad Company 2 as all the 95% of the today games can't use more that 3 cores and 2GB or 2.5GB RAM and that is much RAM since all the heavy works are do it for the GPU and CPU.

Pure games are made for run in any rig without take care of the specifications.

@markusaurileus: What mobo do u have? Like tecmo34 says, the Phenom II X4 940 should be supported since is AM2+ but check if is listed in the CPU support list.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I appreciate the replies, saint. I have an ECS GeForce7050M-M mobo. It supports CPUs up to 95W.

Although, I am not sure if its v1.0 or v2.0; The mobo's box says v2.0 and "Supports AMD Phenom processor" (AM2+ version), but CPUZ says 1.0 (AM2 version).

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=865&CategoryID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=835&CategoryID=1&MenuID=21&LanID=0

I can't find an official list of which CPUs it supports.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
thanks, I'll check out the details on the Kuma. However, I might just want to consider saving up for a cheaper AM3 board that supports DDR2 memory. This way I can have more CPU options while re-using my current memory.

saint, you're an awesome moderator.