Sign in with
Your question
Closed

External hard drive gone?

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2012 11:04:57 AM

Okay, so I was trying to change my External hard drive that is a FAT32 to an NTFS. I saved all my stuff on to my internal hard drive, then deleted everything contained inside. Afterwards, I followed these steps in this link below

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/answers/external-hard-d...

It states to "Right-click on the drive you are changing (make sure it is the right drive), and choose "Delete Partition"."

Me being as dumb as I am... I right clicked the external and saw "Delete Volume" and it made my hard drive disappear completely. Is there anyone that knows how I can have it reappear? I replug it in and i see that it is recognized as a USB device in the "Device Manager." I still cant find a way for it to appear as a new hard drive though. I'll be doing research to try and find the problem, but if anyone has any solutions I'd much appreciate it. Thanks in advance

More about : external hard drive

Best solution

a c 372 G Storage
January 6, 2012 11:13:54 AM

Right click on the drive in disk management and select initialize. Create a new partition the full size of the drive, then format it as NTFS.
January 6, 2012 1:17:31 PM

I figured it out thanks. I did something similar to the steps you posted. What are the negatives to having an NTFS over a FAT32? Besides the fact MACs cant transfer stuff on to NTFS hard drives.
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2012 1:17:40 PM

Best answer selected by spledang.
Score
a c 372 G Storage
January 6, 2012 1:53:53 PM

spledang said:
I figured it out thanks. I did something similar to the steps you posted. What are the negatives to having an NTFS over a FAT32? Besides the fact MACs cant transfer stuff on to NTFS hard drives.

NTFS has way may positives than negatives. It's a jornaling file system so is less suseptable to corruption than FAT32. It can store files over 4 gig, which fat32 can't, and more.
Score
February 25, 2012 3:58:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!