Which gpu

G

Hey

Uhm... I am looking to buy a gpu... I have 1 of these big 19" screens,and I am going to game. i am not a serius gamer just like to play games at good setings. Not worried about ultra and that stuff. Just going to play on high. here are the options:

1 9800 gt
2 4850
3 9600 gt

I know the 4850 is the best but will the 9600/9800 gt be good enough for me. If it will be then I wont be spending the extra cost... Eg: I am on a budget.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I agree that the 9800Gt is your best deal from the selection. You should be able to find one for $80-90 online at newegg.com

Also, for a 19' monitor you dont need to get a card with 1gb-- a 512 mb version will be more than enough.

Before making this purchase however, you do need to look and see what kind of powersupply is in your computer--it would also be helpful if you posted you computer model/specs just so we can be certain it will work well.

These models seem like a decent deals at about $85

Asus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121352&cm_re=9800gt-_-14-121-352-_-Product
(you should ignore the negative reviews on this--several of the people that rated it are complete morons that didnt know what they were talking about)
Zotac:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500142

G

Will the 9800 gt have good fps at high settings at res 1280x1024... For gta iv,crysis,and those games.

Here are the rest specs:
720 W psu
Core i5
2 gig ram ddr 3 1333 mhz.

G

Got a 9800 gt from a guy at work. But will it be able to play all games at high setings with descent fps at 1280x1024

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Got a 9800 gt from a guy at work. But will it be able to play all games at high setings with descent fps at 1280x1024

Thats great to hear. I think it should do ok as your monitor isnt too big. I would seriously consider jyjjy's suggestion of the extra 2 gb of ram however. Windows 7 and Vista run a lot better with more than 2 gb of ram--4 would be plenty.

G

Do you think it will be good enough...? Will it give me good fps at high settings with most games?

G

Sorry you might laugh but how do you says solved and then award a best question.
And sorry what fps is very playable on a 17''... I got fraps and really dont see much diff between 35 and above.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Sorry you might laugh but how do you says solved and then award a best question.
And sorry what fps is very playable on a 17''... I got fraps and really dont see much diff between 35 and above.

There should be a button next to each answer that says "select as best answer." This will mark the thread as solved.
I think the FPS is kind of a personal opinion thing that matters more in some games than others.

Over 30 fps is considered playable in general. Optimally you want frame rates higher than your monitors refresh rate. Then you can enable v-sync for the smoothest experience but the point where you will notice a real difference is likely well below that and varies depending on the game and person.