Dual Gigabit on motherboard.....

mtd324

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I recently purchased an MSI 790FX-GD70 Mobo, with a Realtek 8111DL dual gigabit controller on board.

I was wondering if there was a way to connect one port to my Internet connection and the other port to my PS3?

I would like to use my PC as a Media Server for my PS3 as well as share the internet connection with it.

Is it possible to use the second port to turn my PC into a router?

Or can it only be used to connect to a separate network or "team" the first connection?

Thanks....

mtd324

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply, and the welcome!

I tried google....only results I could find said the contrary, but they were all over a year old......hoping things have changed

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
MTD : This is really easy to do. You just need to Share your connection.

Goto your control panel, network connections / ( adaptor settings if you're on vista/windows 7 ) and right click the port that is connected to the internet and click properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then check the box "allow other network users to connect through my computers internet connection.

Once this is checked, you can use a Cross-over cable to connect your ps3 or another computer/device to other port on your motherboard.

You can get a crossover cable @ your local electronics shop.

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I have to ask: why not use a broadband modem with a router built-in, so you can just plug your PC and PS3 into the modem/router directly.

That way, you don't waste power by leaving the PC on all the time just to service the PS3, and you don't have to mess around getting internet sharing to work.

As both devices will be treated as being on the same network by the router in the modem, they'll still be able to see each other on the network (admittedly with a bit of tinkering).