Building a Gaming Rig for ~$900

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: around 900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Recording Gameplay, Video editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, tigerdirect, amazon. Would prefer the latter two since there is no tax, but if its comparable, newegg is fine.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: CA, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, nVidia(open to others for GPU)

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I realize 2 months is a ways away but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm gonna be doing

Ok so I'm in the process of saving for a new machine for 2010 and beyond. I'm lookin to spend around 900 on this project with the goal to play any game I choose on high settings with the catch of being able to record gameplay without it slowing down said gameplay.
8 answers Last reply
More about building gaming
  1. Come back a few weeks before you buy for a final check. By then, nVidia's Fermi may be available, which might change recommendations. In addition, there's a lot of new tech on its way in too...

I'm using all Newegg.com prices, so it's in USD.

CPU: i5-750 $200
    Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W $60 after rebate
    Case: HAF 922 $100 (combo with PSU right now for $130 total, usually ~$80)
    Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $21
    GPU: HD 5770 $155

Total: $891.
  2. Thanks for the suggestions MadAdmiral, that was actually the cpu i had been looking at. I have one question though about the amount of ram. 4GBs sounds kind of low. I'm currently running xp but I plan on buying windos 7 64bit.
  3. 4 GB is generally enough for all but the most intensive tasks, it doesn't hurt to get more, but I have never had a problem with "just" 4.
  4. Like jonsy said, 4 GB is enough, unless you use copious amounts of Adobe products or are doing something special with the comupter. Gaming doesn't require much RAM.
  5. My main concern is recording video while gaming. The only reason I ask is becasue I've had terrible experience doing so in the past and I want to be sure there wont be any hiccups.
  6. I have no idea. Chances are that it could have been something else about your last computer creating the slowdown(CPU, GPU, OS).

If you want a fool proof solution, buy a cheap digital video recorder and mount it over your shoulder...
  7. FRAPS runs fine with 4GB of RAM. FRAPS is mostly dependent on your GPU. As long as you are getting around 25-30 FPS you should be able to record well. At least, I have no problems at those settings.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems