Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best way to intergrate an SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2012 2:57:15 PM

HI ALL.

So recently I upgraded my computer. I5 2500k Z68 mobo 8 gigs of ram ect.

I did the unthinkable and just swapped over my HDD and it worked (after like 20 minutes of driver installs). I recently purchased a SSD (OCZ 120GB AGILITY 3 SERIES SATA III 2.5 INCH SSD) and plan to reformat.

So whats the best thing to do? I plan on installing a clean OS onto the drive but should I cashe the rest or just install the more storage heavy items directly on the drive. I will be using my current drive for movies/music/backup!

I also wanted to know if I run my SSD as a boot drive can I raid 2 HDDs on the same system?

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : intergrate ssd

Best solution

a c 290 G Storage
January 6, 2012 3:48:20 PM

Since you purchased a 128GB ssd you should have enough capacity to do a clean install of Microsoft Windows 7, your software applications, utilities, and some games. You can use your hard disk drives for data storage. It is a fairly common configuration.

You can use the ssd as a boot and application drive and configure two hard disk drives in a RAID array.
January 6, 2012 4:04:59 PM

I did the same. When I got my SSD (Kingston HyperX 120) I installed my SSD, configured BIOS so the SSD was the boot drive and I made the HDD as my second boot device, in case I had any issues with my SSD, I would still be able to boot up and diagnose/repair/get online to fix my SSD. Since my HDD is a 1TB Hitachi, I have plenty or room to spare on it. I just put my OS and patches on my SSD. Been working great since then. Btw, don't forget to Disable Power Save where it will shut down your drive if it is inactive for x amount of time. I'm running Win7 64 Pro and I left the PC on for 6 hours when I had to leave....when I came back, Windows had shut off power to the SSD, which caused my system to reboot to my HDD. I figured it our pretty quick and once I disabled that feature, i've not had any issues whatsoever. Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 6, 2012 4:08:21 PM

I recently did just like you...

Here's how I moved:

The goal is to get the C: drive usage below about 90GB before you transfer onto the SSD.

Get a good secondary drive, I use a SATA3 (6GB/s) 1TB drive, install it.

Move your User Profile folders to the new drive

uninstall all your applications and reinstall them onto the new drive.

Check the used part of C:, if under 90GB great, if not uninstall utilitize next... Security Suite, ...

I got mine under 80GB before the migration.

The SSD I used came with a cloning tool. I did not use it since I really like EASEUS's ToDo Backup. It is a free utility that allows you to make drive images and (for our purpose here) Clone a drive.

Install it on the new drive, put your new SSD into an external USB drive mount, initialize it from the Disk Management system and use ToDo Backup to clone the C: drive onto the SSD.

Once completed, shut down the system, remove the old C: drive and place the SSD in it's place. Boot up and you are off... Check the MoBo and SSD documentation for any special setups you might need to do and enjoy the new speed.

edit... Do not forget to install any new programs to the new LARGE hd, NOT THE ssd...

OBTW - my boot times went from 2ish minutes to about 1 minute. I use Chrome as a browser with about 10 open tabs, launch when from about 1 minute to about 10 seconds.

Enjoy!
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:58:21 PM

Best answer selected by Gwart.
m
l
!