Upgrading to AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 Ghz...

I am planning to upgrade the processor in my Dell Dimension E521 to this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

I am upgrading from a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ~ 2.0 Ghz. Will I also need to upgrade my stock 305W PSU?

Thanks
28 answers Last reply
More about upgrading phenom
  1. and the mother board, and the ram, most likely the case and then we run into a whole new pc
  2. I do plan to add more RAM, but are you saying that my motherboard won't be able to handle it?
  3. you'll need to check compatibility, but you will most likely need a mobo upgrade. if you get an AM2+ mobo though, you can at least keep the RAM you already have.

i'd recommend a new PSU though for sure. a corsair vx450 should do the job nicely.
  4. I didn't really want to change out my motherboard (and really do not have the money to do so), so perhaps someone here could recommend me a processor that will work with my motherboard. It needs to be at least 2.6 Ghz so I can play more recent games.

Thanks
  5. it wont support the higher end am3 cpu's best case scenario the 430 boards have a 65 watt tdp, at worst case it wont support any am3 cpu
  6. ... so... can I not upgrade my CPU at all?
  7. sorry dont think so but maybe just a new board and lower end am3 quad core should be a great deal better
  8. Are you really sure? I have done much research and other people seem confident that the CPU in a Dell e521 can be upgraded. Perhaps I could upgrade to one of the processors mentioned in the link below...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246409-28-upgrade-questions
  9. those are original athlons in that thread, much weaker than the phenom II you linked.

yes, you can upgrade to a processor like that. but the performance gains won't be that noticeable.
  10. Here we go, found this processor at CompUSA. It has been said that this processor works well with the Dell e521 and it is CHEAP!!

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4690900&CatId=2328

Would this processor be an improvement over my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ~ 2.0 Ghz?

Thanks
  11. link doesn't work. what processor are you linking?

how much do you have to spend? you could get an athlon II 620 (quad) and a compatible mobo for less than 170 dollars. that would offer very nice gains.

EDIT: just tried the link again and it worked. the 5200 is better than your current processor, but not to any sizeable degree. you may get some more performance, but nothing huge.
  12. i think the best you could possibly upgrade to is the 6000
  13. "how much do you have to spend? you could get an athlon II 620 (quad) and a compatible mobo for less than 170 dollars. that would offer very nice gains."

Hmmm... and what particular motherboard do you have in mind?
  14. strike74 said:
    "how much do you have to spend? you could get an athlon II 620 (quad) and a compatible mobo for less than 170 dollars. that would offer very nice gains."

Hmmm... and what particular motherboard do you have in mind?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.357501
  15. obsidian86 said:

Ohhh, that is a good deal, but are we all sure that this motherboard is compatible with my Dell e521. Remember, it has one of those upside down designs.
  16. Okay, so basically, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is my best choice AND it is compatible with my computer? Right?
  17. strike74 said:
    Okay, so basically, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is my best choice AND it is compatible with my computer? Right?

you will probably need to update your motherboard's bios. I doubt you can just plop that cpu and expect it to work right off the bat.

What games are you planning to play? And what resolution is your monitor? You should also consider upgrading your video card too so you can get the most performance for what you have.
  18. Best answer
    i know the x2 6000 will work with bios 1.11.11, since i plugged one in a E521

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen
  19. 1tym said:
    you will probably need to update your motherboard's bios. I doubt you can just plop that cpu and expect it to work right off the bat.

What games are you planning to play? And what resolution is your monitor? You should also consider upgrading your video card too so you can get the most performance for what you have.

- I have heard that updating the BIOS on one of these ancient rigs can ruin your chances to upgrade your processor.... or not.

- Flight Simulator X aka the Devil's game.

- I have a 22" Acer monitor 1680x1050.

- I actually have already ordered a new video card and it will arrive Tuesday. PNY Geforce 9600GT
  20. Well it sounds like I have find the processor just right for me! Thanks a bunch everyone! :D
  21. strike74 said:
    - I have heard that updating the BIOS on one of these ancient rigs can ruin your chances to upgrade your processor.... or not.

- Flight Simulator X aka the Devil's game.

- I have a 22" Acer monitor 1680x1050.

- I actually have already ordered a new video card and it will arrive Tuesday. PNY Geforce 9600GT

Just dont incorrectly update a motherboard's bios and corrupt it because it will ruin the motherboard period :cry:
    Everything else sounds good.
  22. 1tym said:
    Just dont incorrectly update a motherboard's bios and corrupt it because it will ruin the motherboard period :cry:
    Everything else sounds good.

Speaking of which, I just attempted to update my BIOS to version 1.1.4, but when I try to run the installation application I receive an error message stating, "Flash Access Denied". "Please make sure you are logged in as Administrator then try re-starting the application."

Ummm, aren't I already logged in as Administrator? Do I have to do this in Safe Mode?
  23. You may have to boot into safe mode and log in as "Administrator". You never know with those Dell utilities ^_^. Anyway, it's too bad your board and case is of the micro BTX variety. Switching to an ATX or micro-ATX board would require you to get a new case as well. Hopefully upgrading to the Athlon 6000+ and a 9600GT will be enough for you till you decide to build a new machine.
  24. megamanx00 said:
    You may have to boot into safe mode and log in as "Administrator". You never know with those Dell utilities ^_^. Anyway, it's too bad your board and case is of the micro BTX variety. Switching to an ATX or micro-ATX board would require you to get a new case as well. Hopefully upgrading to the Athlon 6000+ and a 9600GT will be enough for you till you decide to build a new machine.

Thanks for the advice, but the solution was strikingly simply. I just had to right click on the file and hit "Run as Administrator" and it worked! :)

Oh and I think that the Athlon 6000+ and 9600GT will hold me for a very long time. As long as this upgrade can handle The Sims 2, The Sims 2, FSX, GTA IV, and other such games, I will be totally happy. But when I do decide to upgrade, I will probably choose ibuypower.com. Their products are almost SUSPICIOUSLY cheap!

Thanks a bunch for th- WAAAAIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will I need to upgrade my 305W power supply to handle the new processor??
  25. ct1615 said:

Oh, lol. I updated from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4. I didn't realize that we had this many BIOS updates.... GOOGLE LIED!!!

Thanks, updating my BIOS now.
  26. ct1615 said:
    no need to upgrade, i ran the same CPU and GPU off that same PSU. Just plug the adapter into a free molex and then into the 9600GT.

FYI, GTA IV is a crap port (not game, just the PC port) and the hardware requirement to run it are outrageous compared to the graphics you get. You will have to settle on lower graphic settings.

I meant the processor...
  27. ct1615 said:
    so did I, my CPU was the Athlon x 2 6000 125w

Oh my bad, I misread your statement. Well that is certainly good news because I had a whole line of PSUs picked out and I had no idea if they would work or not.

Well thanks a bunch everyone, I got a whole lot worked out with my computer!

- BIOS updated to 1.1.11

- New CPU chosen

- New GPU chosen

- And I got all my PSU "ifs" and "buts" worked out

Again, thanks everybody, I am sure I will be back again soon! :??:
  28. Best answer selected by strike74.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Phenom Dimension Processors Product