Computer boots up but no display, Help!!

carson45

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
Hello, so I was using my computer las night and my screen turned all white my computer froze. I shut it off and turned it back on and the monitor will not turn on. I opened the case up to see if I could see any loose cables or something. Then I seen some purple-pinkish stuff that was located above my pci-e slot that melted into my pci slot. I pulled the card out and the gold strip that plugs into the slot was covered in it. I cleaned it off and tried turning my computer back on but still nothing. The gunk is all inside the slot and Im unable to get it out, I doubt the gold on the card is making good contact with the slot. Im not sure if this could be the problem or something else. I know the computer is booting up still I can hear the windows tune when its loaded but no display.

So do you guys think my motherboard went bad? Maybe video card? Im not sure where to start on this, both MB and video card are made from MSI. Im going try to find out what melted in there. Any input will help me alot, thanks for your time.

carson45

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
I dont think that is it, when I got the computer I seen the purple stuff above the pci slot but it looked like a seal of some sort Im not sure. Over time the heat got to it and melted it down into the slot. Anyone ever see something like this?

carson45

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
0109101818.jpg
Ok heres a pic of it

Right underneath the heat sink is a pair of capacitors! Are they both intact one looks half? could be covered in that gunk though! I have looked at pictures of all MSI boards I could think of and can not find one that has something there that could melt!

carson45

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
Its just strange that I seen the purple stuff not melted above the pci slot before it melted. So you think this fried my board then? Is my video card still ok I cleaned off all that gunk I just have nothing to test it in at the moment.