Please help me upgrade my system (especially OS related)

mitsumasa

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
So far I've bought these parts (but are not installed yet)

P7P55 LX Asus mobo to replace the Asus P5GC-MX

Intel 15-750 to replace the e2100

4GB DDR3 to replace 2GB DDR2 Ram

The graphics card is a GT220

Everything else in terms of hardware, I'm keeping. The reason I haven't put this whole thing together is because I'm waiting for my UPGRADE version of Windows 7 to come in the mail. As I understand it, the upgrade versions require a licensed version of Windows to already be installed, which I have. Windows XP home OEM edition. So if the OEM edition of Windows is tied to the mobo (as I understand it), I can't install Windows XP to the new hardware and therefore, cannot install 7 which requires licensed XP or Vista to already be installed.

So, any tips? Or do I just have to buy a full version of XP to install onto the new mobo, so I can upgrade to 7. The reason I got the upgrade version of 7 was because I could get it for 72 AUD through school. Too good to pass up. I didn't realize about the OEM mobo restrictions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can buy an OEM version of Windows 7. It's a lot cheaper than the retail version.

Also, in the US, you can get a complete version of Windows 7 (1 copy) for very cheap. I'd look into that. It's through Microsoft themselves.

You could find someone else with a full copy of Vista/XP they aren't using, and upgrade from that.

Those are basically your options.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Shortstuff_mt,

You can perform a clean install from a Windows 7 upgrade version however you will have to have a valid previous copy of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista installed to validate the upgrade and activate the product key. Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team