Durability of flash drive storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It could possibly last a long time. I would say a minnimum of 5 years if it goes unused (with data writtin on it).

However, you might want to be careful, if you have important data you want to store for a long time - it's best to make a few copies, say one on a DVD-R, and one on a USB. As it's possible a few years down the road the USB key can become unreadable.

If you do make a copy with a DVD-r make sure to keep it out of direct sunlight as well as extreme heat and cold.
It depends on quite a few factors:

The age of the flash drive.

The quality of the flash drive.

How many times you write to it.

Whether or not it has been man-handled (dunked in salt water? not good, stepped on? not good).

If you regularly use a flash drive (say writing at least 2-3 GB a day) - i would say it would last anywhere from 1 to 3 years.

You can make a flash drive last longer by:

Limiting your writes.

Taking care of your flash drive.

Flash drives have a limited number of write cycles - I can't remember how many though.

lawaczeck

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Thank you!
My question was meant to pertains to how long stored data remain readable if the flashdrive is not abused and no further data are added

It could possibly last a long time. I would say a minnimum of 5 years if it goes unused (with data writtin on it).

However, you might want to be careful, if you have important data you want to store for a long time - it's best to make a few copies, say one on a DVD-R, and one on a USB. As it's possible a few years down the road the USB key can become unreadable.

If you do make a copy with a DVD-r make sure to keep it out of direct sunlight as well as extreme heat and cold.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.