Is it bad if the sun shines on computer components?

arashiano

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
my pc is placed under a window and sometimes i forget to close the blind at night and when i wake up in the morning the sun is shinning on my computer parts, usually the graphic card. my case is pretty open because of fans.
So is this harmful for my computer?

thanks,

G

I would suggest that long term exposure to direct sunlight will casue degradation to the plastic components in your PC as well as to the Printed Circut Boards. My advice is not to have any direct exposure to direct light to the internals of your pc!

Sunlight degrades many man made materials especially pastics, though, you are probably going to.get a new machinne before major damage is done!

moricon - OOPS! I forgot to mention that. I only get sunshine through the window for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. I've got a steel case. It is oriented so the sun's harmful rays only strike the right side panel which does not have any openings.

BTW - Have you ever ran across a report indicating how long it would take for the sun's harmful rays to damage a circuit board? Just curious.

I have never seen anything like that. But considering that I have fully functional plastic lawn furniture that has been in the Saudi sun for more than 10 years, it has to be a long time.

G

Hmm, yes, a couple of hours to the side of the case is nothing to worry about, as long as it doesn't cause increased temps its all good..

jsc, plastic lawn furniture has additives in the plastic to help prevent UV degradation, that helps increase its life in the sun, hopefully where it should be as it is outside lawn furniture!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_stabilizers_in_plastics

Further more,

I did mention that the lifespan of the PC components would probably outstretch its use over UV damage.

I lived in SA for many years and have first hand experience of Plastics breaking down due to sun damage..