Sign in with
Your question

Onboard RAID5 on Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2010 7:49:33 PM

Hello, it's my first post, so I'll be straight:

I'm going to build a new rig, and I'd like to have a RAID-5 on that board from 4x 500GB Samsung F2 and an SSD as a system drive. My questions are following:

1) Is it secure to build RAID-5 through BIOS without, for example, specialized Adaptec controller? Because if it fails, I'm pretty much fuc*ed and it wont be able to rebuild it.

2) Is the board going to notify me in any way, when some disc fails? Windows 2008 Server doesn't - I've tried setting software raid5 on that system and then restarted with one disc unplugged, the volume was still accessible, but the system told me nothing about there is a disc missing.

3) Is it wise to have 128GB SSD as system disc (I'm a programmer, so Visual Studio and other software is going to be on SSD), while games are going to be installed on that raid volume.

4) I'm thinking if the best solution is an SSD... Still the Black edition of some Western Digital is pretty fast already.

Thanks for all responses :) 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 11, 2010 8:29:20 PM

I have this exact MOBO so right off there's no way that I would RAID 5 without a dedicated RAID Controller. Unfortunately, there are many confirmed problems with the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) and any RAID from the MOBO controller period.

So that all being said, your answers:

1) Use a dedicated RAID Controller.
2) If you use the MOBO to run RAID then you'll need to install Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology which will notify you of any errors and the health of the RAID.
3) I cannot imagine a problem with Visual Studio on an SSD ; backup your data on the RAID. If you had a huge database that constantly overwrites itself there is a limit to the flash memory rewrites, but it would take a very long time to have that become an issue. In my case, I test with MS Access and Filemaker Pro with 6-10+ GB scratch files, so I am looking into purchasing a "disposable" small SSD in RAID 0 (to speed up writes); random access of disk related tasks is a bonus of SSD.
4) Yes, it is actually a great idea to have {SSD for OS + Apps} & {RAID (1,5, or any redundancy HDD for Data)}

RAID issue - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...
Ports/RAID - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278015-30-mobo-ideal-...
August 12, 2010 4:27:33 PM

Thanks for reply! I still didn't purchased the hardware and I'm just collecting data... It looks like I'll go for the ASUS.. I saw more SATA connectors and better equipment on other brands for the same price, but for what I've seen so far, ASUS just works.
!