Sign in with
Your question

First Build Found Poor Supplier

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2010 3:26:08 PM

My First build, searched around decided parts, found parts on Web. Ordered from what looked like a safe supplier had all logo's and the credit card verification system. Only trouble is they did not supply.
Warnings on sites of poor suppliers need to be part of the forum, I only find out that Computerwarhouse.co.uk are a problem when I do not get my parts ten days later and no replies to my emails. Start to search for information and find on pcadvisor site recommenadtions to report these people to local police as they have a bad reputation.
Now I did look around and did not go for cheapest and tried hard to ensure I do not get caught, I am not a beginner at web purchase and try hard to ensure safe transactions but still end up with this problem, we need to post more inform,ation so these poor suppliers do not survive and we can all shop with confidense.

Should there be a forum for poor suppliers to be reported to and easily searched.?
January 15, 2010 3:37:39 PM

If it's in the US, it's called the Better Business Bureau. I'm sure the UK has something similiar.
January 15, 2010 4:35:12 PM

grarcher said:
My First build, searched around decided parts, found parts on Web. Ordered from what looked like a safe supplier had all logo's and the credit card verification system. Only trouble is they did not supply.
Warnings on sites of poor suppliers need to be part of the forum, I only find out that Computerwarhouse.co.uk are a problem when I do not get my parts ten days later and no replies to my emails. Start to search for information and find on pcadvisor site recommenadtions to report these people to local police as they have a bad reputation.
Now I did look around and did not go for cheapest and tried hard to ensure I do not get caught, I am not a beginner at web purchase and try hard to ensure safe transactions but still end up with this problem, we need to post more inform,ation so these poor suppliers do not survive and we can all shop with confidense.

Should there be a forum for poor suppliers to be reported to and easily searched.?

As MadAdmiral said, the Better Business Bureau is a great resource in the U.S. if you are ever unsure about a retailer. I'm not sure about the UK, but if that's where you are, you could start by checking out The Office of Fair Trading or Trading Standards.

The bottom line is that scammers and cheaters are always going to find a way to beat the system and trick people. When companies start implementing things like VeriSign, scumbags start trying to figure out how to beat them, and a few of them will always succeed.

In the U.S., if you find a place that is boasting prices on parts that are significantly better than what newegg.com, tigerdirect, amazon, etc., are offering, be skeptical - especially if it's a place you've never heard of. I'm not saying that reputable places don't exist with lower prices - of course they do - but you can never be too safe when you're doing business with someone hundreds or thousands of miles away. If you get scammed, it is also worth contacting your bank/credit card companies. They won't always be able to help you, but they might - and you should ALWAYS let them know if you've been ripped off, because that means that someone sketchy out there has your personal info, and that is never a good thing.

Sorry about your misfortune, but I hope you get things sorted out.
January 15, 2010 4:42:14 PM

Hopefully you used your credit card so that you can call them and have the charge taken off -might also want to get the credit card changed so that they do not wind up using your credit card # - so first thing I would do is call the credit card company and have them cancel that card and send you a new one and also have them charge back the charge so you do not wind up paying it. then take this as a lesson learned and check out who you are buying from before making a purchase.
!