Overclocking Failed/Won't shut down.

Yeoman1000

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I was trying to overclock my 2500k to 4.0ghz, seemed to get an indication of a stable voltage(it got into windows and ran some runs of IBT very high without crashing). But when I tried to shut down for the night, my pc wouldn't shut down, the screen went blank but my pc kept on running. I had to hold down the power button. When I turned it on again, I got the "over clocking failed press f1 to blah blah blah".

I loaded optimised defaults, but I still get the over-clocking failed message when booting up, with or without turbo mode enabled. Also the pc still refuses to shut down on its own at stock speeds.

Any ideas? Should I reset that CMOS battery thing?

Clear the CMOS settings and start over.

Make sure the power to the machine is either switched off at the power supply or power cable pulled from the wall outlet when you clear the CMOS or sometimes it won't completely clear.

If you don't give your overclock enough voltage it won't remain stable, this is normal just clear out your setting and start again.

It's always best to write down your settings progress so you know for sure what didn't work for you.

Do you know what voltage you were running 4.0G at?

1.200v ~ 1.225v maybe?

I never ran mine that low almost every 2500K seems to love 4500mhz and most run that clock around the plus or minus 1.32v area.

You cannot run 4500mhz on stock cooling though!

Yeoman1000

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I'm no expert to oc'ing. I was testing voltages out voltages, and restarting in between adjustments. (I'm not sure if its better to shut down and boot between changes). I think I put too big of an offset, since I don't know what I was doing.

I do keep track of 'key' settings that worked. I was able to run IBT on very high for 10 runs at 1.185volts, but I think I got a bit ahead of myself and caused it to go weird. I know it could probably go higher, but at the moment I'm content to just equal the performance of a 3570, since it's my first foray into over-clocking.

Yeoman1000

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Okidoke, clearing the CMOS seems to have sorted it. Thanks.

I only have a Xigmatek Gaia, which although it seems to have good reviews (and is very silent), I wouldn't want to try 4.5ghz on it, I'd rather keep temps minus 70 if I can. The hottest I get is about 60C on Intel burn test on maximum, at 3.3Ghz but with Boost enabled.