Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps restarting and won\'t load windows.

Last response: in Windows XP
August 11, 2012 6:56:59 PM

I was reading something on these questions that may mean this problem is a virus so I'll start all info from last night. Last night I had a virus warning from AVG it was successfully moved to the vault, I then proceeded to ensure my Virus log was updated and did a full system scan. It was getting late so I decided to have it auto shut down when completed. It was at 93% when I went to bed with no detections.
I woke up this morning and decided to go ahead and clean my computer out as I intended to last night but ran out of time. So I took the system apart used rubbing alcohol to clean off the old thermal compound and a can of compressing air to clear out all the dust. after I was done I out it back together and did a test boot. I went into setup to ensure everything was detected and the new thermal compound was placed well.
As I had hoped everything seemed to be there perfectly fine. temps at 35c. so i proceeded to restart. It went through all the motions and got to the point where it should have asked me if I wanted to load Ubuntu or Windows XP, instead it shut down and restarted. It did this in a cycle. i attempted to boot from Ubuntu Setup off my Flash Drive and it did the same thing. Asus express gate worked fine and I was able to go online to see if I could find a solution, without much luck.
I also dug around setup and found that using the Asus EZ Driver update software I could access the HDD which showed that it was indeed running.
I then ran Windows XP Home disc and did a full repair on Windows with no avail even still. I've checked connections, done Bios resets. it just seems it cant detect windows or Ubuntu from the Bios loader.

A few details. I use a Ubuntu start up OS chooser which I've had mild problems with in the past when I deleted a different version of Ubuntu but fix'd it by just running Ubuntu Startup
The only thing I can see is Bios info then a reset. it wont acknowledge the existence of Windows or Ubuntu or even the OS
loading software so there is no possibility of entering safe mode. The only OS that runs is the Asus Express Gate.

The Build is my own. Athlon II x3 3.4Ghz Unlocked into a Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz, Asus M4A79XTD Evo, 500W corsair psu, 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill RipJaw, Saphire Radeon HD 6870, 500GB Sata 3Gb/s HDD. Windows XP 32Bit Home Edition Full.
I plan to upgrade to a 64bit windows 7 OS in the near future, when I built this it was cheaper to go with the OS I had at the time.

Thank you for any and all help.
August 18, 2012 2:06:50 PM

Tasukisan said:
I was reading something on these questions that may mean this problem is a virus so I'll start all info from last night. Last night I had a virus warning from AVG it was successfully moved to the vault, I then proceeded to ensure my Virus log was updated and did a full system scan. It was getting late so I decided to have it auto shut down when completed. It was at 93% when I went to bed with no detections.
I woke up this morning and decided to go ahead and clean my computer out as I intended to last night but ran out of time. So I took the system apart used rubbing alcohol to clean off the old thermal compound and a can of compressing air to clear out all the dust. after I was done I out it back together and did a test boot. I went into setup to ensure everything was detected and the new thermal compound was placed well.
As I had hoped everything seemed to be there perfectly fine. temps at 35c. so i proceeded to restart. It went through all the motions and got to the point where it should have asked me if I wanted to load Ubuntu or Windows XP, instead it shut down and restarted. It did this in a cycle. i attempted to boot from Ubuntu Setup off my Flash Drive and it did the same thing. Asus express gate worked fine and I was able to go online to see if I could find a solution, without much luck.
I also dug around setup and found that using the Asus EZ Driver update software I could access the HDD which showed that it was indeed running.
I then ran Windows XP Home disc and did a full repair on Windows with no avail even still. I've checked connections, done Bios resets. it just seems it cant detect windows or Ubuntu from the Bios loader.

A few details. I use a Ubuntu start up OS chooser which I've had mild problems with in the past when I deleted a different version of Ubuntu but fix'd it by just running Ubuntu Startup
The only thing I can see is Bios info then a reset. it wont acknowledge the existence of Windows or Ubuntu or even the OS
loading software so there is no possibility of entering safe mode. The only OS that runs is the Asus Express Gate.

The Build is my own. Athlon II x3 3.4Ghz Unlocked into a Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz, Asus M4A79XTD Evo, 500W corsair psu, 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill RipJaw, Saphire Radeon HD 6870, 500GB Sata 3Gb/s HDD. Windows XP 32Bit Home Edition Full.
I plan to upgrade to a 64bit windows 7 OS in the near future, when I built this it was cheaper to go with the OS I had at the time.

Thank you for any and all help.

Safe mode: disable automatic restart after system error, then look for stop code on the BSOD
m
l
!