Thinkpad just shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobh

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Thinkpad T20, model 2647 64U, boots fine but then in five, or ten, or
120 minutes just freezes and then a minute or two later the screen
goes blank, then a minute or two after that the whole thing shuts
down. Power light stays on. I am running off of AC power so it's not
likely a power supply.

Someone said it might be the CMOS battery but I find that hard to
believe (still, I ordered one) as that merely keeps the BIOS clock in
sync.

Seems like it might be an overheating problem, but how can I check?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bob

The CMOS battery does more than that, but is probably not the problem
here.
Heat is a good guess. The CPU has a "pad" between it and the fan, and
there is too large a gap on this model.
Try re-seating and insulating the CPU, use silver themal grease, and
some folks have put a brass or copper shim between the CPU and the
heat sink to close the gap. This may cure it, the pad may have
deteriorated.

"BobH" <bob_hatcher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thinkpad T20, model 2647 64U, boots fine but then in five, or ten, or
> 120 minutes just freezes and then a minute or two later the screen
> goes blank, then a minute or two after that the whole thing shuts
> down. Power light stays on. I am running off of AC power so it's not
> likely a power supply.
>
> Someone said it might be the CMOS battery but I find that hard to
> believe (still, I ordered one) as that merely keeps the BIOS clock in
> sync.
>
> Seems like it might be an overheating problem, but how can I check?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Mobilemeter is a great little utility for tracking your processor speed,
temperature and power usage in real time - it requires Win2K or XP.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

Does the problem occur when using battery power or alternately if you adjust
processor speed lower by using a battery power scheme when under AC, does
the lockup/shutdown still occur? This was a problem I had with my T22 -
required a MB replacement.