Thinkpad just shuts down

Thinkpad T20, model 2647 64U, boots fine but then in five, or ten, or
120 minutes just freezes and then a minute or two later the screen
goes blank, then a minute or two after that the whole thing shuts
down. Power light stays on. I am running off of AC power so it's not
likely a power supply.

Someone said it might be the CMOS battery but I find that hard to
believe (still, I ordered one) as that merely keeps the BIOS clock in
sync.

Seems like it might be an overheating problem, but how can I check?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bob
2 answers Last reply
More about thinkpad shuts down

    The CMOS battery does more than that, but is probably not the problem
    here.
    Heat is a good guess. The CPU has a "pad" between it and the fan, and
    there is too large a gap on this model.
    Try re-seating and insulating the CPU, use silver themal grease, and
    some folks have put a brass or copper shim between the CPU and the
    heat sink to close the gap. This may cure it, the pad may have
    deteriorated.

    "BobH" <bob_hatcher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thinkpad T20, model 2647 64U, boots fine but then in five, or ten, or
    > 120 minutes just freezes and then a minute or two later the screen
    > goes blank, then a minute or two after that the whole thing shuts
    > down. Power light stays on. I am running off of AC power so it's not
    > likely a power supply.
    >
    > Someone said it might be the CMOS battery but I find that hard to
    > believe (still, I ordered one) as that merely keeps the BIOS clock in
    > sync.
    >
    > Seems like it might be an overheating problem, but how can I check?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Mobilemeter is a great little utility for tracking your processor speed,
    temperature and power usage in real time - it requires Win2K or XP.
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

    Does the problem occur when using battery power or alternately if you adjust
    processor speed lower by using a battery power scheme when under AC, does
    the lockup/shutdown still occur? This was a problem I had with my T22 -
    required a MB replacement.

Thinkpad Laptops