Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GTX 670 water block?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 24, 2012 3:01:51 PM

Alrighty so I waited a long time after purchasing the Gigabyte 670 for water blocks to come out. Any news on water blocks coming out for these cards? Has it already come out? I can't find any water blocks. They put out loads of heat in my system. I've them in SLI.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 12:30:59 PM

If you mean to look for waterblock for the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 card, then the following block will fit: Aquacomputer Aquagrafx GTX 680 (both copper and nickel version), Watercool Heatkiller GTX 680. The EK waterblock, Koolance and EVGA GTX 680 waterblocks don't fit.

I have 2 Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 and I use Aquacomputer AquaGrafx GTX 680 waterblock. I've done a lot of research to find out which block fits and which blocks don't fit.

Edit: You can use the Aquacomputer Aquagrafx GTX 680 block with the EVGA backplate too btw, they are compatible, just use the 4 screws on the GPU and 1 on the edge of the card. I installed the EVGA GTX 680 backplate on both of my GTX 670 cards with the Aquacomputer block.
m
l
August 26, 2012 1:14:19 PM

I've used a Heatkiller GTX 680 waterblock for my reference design EVGA GTX 680 SC. I've also did a screw mod on the EVGA backplate to fit with the Heatkiller waterblock. It looks cool. The Gigabyte 670 Windforce has a reference design I believed, so you can use a 680 waterblock for it.

I highly recommend the Heatkiller waterblock or the Aquacomputer waterblock too. I'll probably get the Aquacomputer knowing what I know now with GTX 680 waterblocks. The Aquacomputer is lighter than the Heatkiller (about 100 gm lighter). The Heatkiller is very heavy but cools slightly better than the Aquacomputer.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 10:38:47 PM

Cheaptrick said:
The Gigabyte 670 Windforce has a reference design I believed, so you can use a 680 waterblock for it.

The Heatkiller is very heavy but cools slightly better than the Aquacomputer.

The Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 even though has reference GTX 680 PCB but it's 6 pin and 8 pin power adapter is right next to each other, not on top of each other. That's why the EK waterblock, Koolance and EVGA GTX 680 blocks don't fit because the block extend all the way to the 6 pin adapter and covered the space of the 8 pin adapter.

Regarding the Heatkiller vs Aquacomputer performance, I think you got it the other way around. Aquacomputer is known for high quality and performance, their products (CPU blocks, GPU blocks, Radiators...) tend to outperform other competitor products thus they tend to have a higher price tag. In this case, the Aquacomputer Aquagrafx GTX 680 has lightly better performance than the Heatkiller block.
m
l
August 27, 2012 12:04:11 AM

jacknhut said:
The Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 even though has reference GTX 680 PCB but it's 6 pin and 8 pin power adapter is right next to each other, not on top of each other. That's why the EK waterblock, Koolance and EVGA GTX 680 blocks don't fit because the block extend all the way to the 6 pin adapter and covered the space of the 8 pin adapter.

Regarding the Heatkiller vs Aquacomputer performance, I think you got it the other way around. Aquacomputer is known for high quality and performance, their products (CPU blocks, GPU blocks, Radiators...) tend to outperform other competitor products thus they tend to have a higher price tag. In this case, the Aquacomputer Aquagrafx GTX 680 has lightly better performance than the Heatkiller block.

Both Heatkiller & Aquacomputer waterblocks are high performing waterblocks. They're also made in Germany. To say that Aquacomputer in better than Heatkiller cuz its Aquacomputer is such a bull. I've used numerous Aquacomputer products in the past (I've got the Aquaero 5 that I've just sold to another guy at overclock.net several months ago & also just recently purchased an Aquacomputer water filter) as well as recently the Heatkiller, all I can say is that they both have the same quality control specs (typical of German made products). The Heatkiller is slightly more expensive than the Aquacomputer too (about $10 more).

If you read closely what I've wrote previously, knowing what I know now before I've purchased the Heatkiller waterblock I probably get an Aquacomputer waterblock instead. Don't get me wrong on this. It's not cuz of the Aquacomputer is better in cooling (if you happened to read the review on this (2) & other waterblocks, Heatkiller cools better than Aquacomputer but the lower temp is marginal at best I don't even think it's significant). The reason that I'll probably will get the Aquacomputer now is the weight. The Heatkiller is a heavy waterblock (about 1000 gm). I'm not sure if the 100 gm lighter Aquacomputer is really that light but it looks thinner than the already thin Heatkiller. If I can only handle the Aquacomputer & get the feel of the weight & think it's very insignificant then definitely I'll stick with the Heatkiller cuz it cools more though very slightly & it looks cooler too.

If you want to do an SLI set up on the Heatkiller, buy the (2) waterblocks if you don't plan on using the Heatkiller SLI bridge connector. I've purchased the 2nd Heatkiller waterblock few weeks after I've purchased the 1stc one & got a different SLI bridge connector. The 1st thinner SLI bridge connector came form an older batch. Luckily, Watercool.de of Germany going to replace it.

http://watercool.de/wbb/board1-watercool-support/4289-2...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 12:28:40 AM

Cheaptrick said:
Both Heatkiller & Aquacomputer waterblocks are high performing waterblocks. They're also made in Germany. To say that Aquacomputer in better than Heatkiller cuz its Aquacomputer is such a bull. I've used numerous Aquacomputer products in the past (I've got the Aquaero 5 that I've just sold to another guy at overclock.net several months ago & also just recently purchased an Aquacomputer water filter) as well as recently the Heatkiller, all I can say is that they both have the same quality control specs (typical of German made products). The Heatkiller is slightly more expensive than the Aquacomputer too (about $10 more).

If you read closely what I've wrote previously, knowing what I know now before I've purchased the Heatkiller waterblock I probably get an Aquacomputer waterblock instead. Don't get me wrong on this. It's not cuz of the Aquacomputer is better in cooling (if you happened to read the review on this (2) & other waterblocks, Heatkiller cools better than Aquacomputer but the lower temp is marginal at best I don't even think it's significant). The reason that I'll probably will get the Aquacomputer now is the weight. The Heatkiller is a heavy waterblock (about 1000 gm). I'm not sure if the 100 gm lighter Aquacomputer is really that light but it looks thinner than the already thin Heatkiller. If I can only handle the Aquacomputer & get the feel of the weight & think it's very insignificant then definitely I'll stick with the Heatkiller cuz it cools more though very slightly & it looks cooler too.

If you want to do an SLI set up on the Heatkiller, buy the (2) waterblocks if you don't plan on using the Heatkiller SLI bridge connector. I've purchased the 2nd Heatkiller waterblock few weeks after I've purchased the 1stc one & got a different SLI bridge connector. The 1st thinner SLI bridge connector came form an older batch. Luckily, Watercool.de of Germany going to replace it.

http://watercool.de/wbb/board1-watercool-support/4289-2...

Everywhere I look in the U.S. Aquacomputer is more expensive than Heatkiller. You said my claim of Aquacomputer to perform better than healkiller is bull, then can you link me a professional review that indicate otherwise or else I'll have to say your claim in Heatkiller being better in performance than Aquacomputer is also bull.

You link a regular edition Aquacomputer block against a special edition block of Heatkiller, of course its cheaper. Let me link you a special edition block of Aquacomputer against your Hole edition Heatkiller below.

m
l
August 27, 2012 12:41:21 AM

I agree with jacknhut, go with Aquacomputer, its a lot more reputable in terms of high quality than Heatkiller, and its lighter as well so there is less strain on your card. These blocks are very heavy btw if you haven't used them before, much heavier than the regular stock heatsink that comes with the card.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 12:57:27 AM

Here is the review at skineelab for full cover GPU waterblock that has Aqucomputer, EK, XSPC, Watercool Heatkiller, Danger Den, Koolance and other blocks. Aquacomputer has highest performance according to the chart in the end.

http://skinneelabs.com/gtx480-full-cover-block-roundup/...
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:02:54 AM

Those are the old GTX 480 waterblocks. It's not the new GTX 680 waterblocks. We're talking about the GTX 680 waterblocks, not the very old GTX 480 waterblocks.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 1:09:31 AM

Cheaptrick said:
Those are the old GTX 480 waterblocks. It's not the new GTX 680 waterblocks.

It shows that the Aquacomputer blocks outperform the other blocks like I said. I'm still waiting for your proof that Heatkiller is better in performance according to reviews.
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:11:26 AM

There's really no expert review on the (2) waterblocks yet. But on some computer site forums, some said that the Heatkiller is better in cooling. It got a thicker cooling plate. While the Aquacomputer on the other hand, tends to be unnecessarily thin & restrictive.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1241829/any-reviews-on-gtx-6...
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:13:22 AM

Those charts are very nice jacknhut. I remember seeing them but couldnt remember where hehe. Now it's all clear. Aquacomputer block is lighter, performs better. Too bad Danger den doesn't make cool looking block though, their performance is up there with Aquacomputer.
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:16:49 AM

jacknhut said:
It shows that the Aquacomputer blocks outperform the other blocks like I said. I'm still waiting for your proof that Heatkiller is better in performance according to reviews.

If you based your analytical asumption that the Aquacomputer is better cuz the review on the very old GTX 480 waterblocks put it higher than the Aquacomputer then based on that graph the EVGA is the best. We all know that EVGA waterblocks sucks bigtime.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 1:28:44 AM

Cheaptrick said:
If you based your analytical asumption that the Aquacomputer is better cuz the review on the very old GTX 480 waterblocks put it higher than the Heatkiller then based on that graph the EVGA is the best. We all know that EVGA waterblocks sucks bigtime.

EVGA block is far from best since it doenst cool VRM at all hence highest (worst) VRM temp of all blocks tested. The final graph is calculated by skinneelab that takes into account VRM Temp (25%), GPU temp (50%) and Flow rate/restrictiveness (25%) and Aquacomputer is the best block to get.

You have your own opinion and I have mine, at least I have shown empirical evidence that Aquacomputer block performance is very high (matches the quality/pricetag) and that is how I based my decision on. I don't trust someone in some forum who said Aquacomputer block is thin and restrictive, how do they know that? Do they have the right tools to open up the block and measure how thin the inner core of the block is? I highly doubt that. Besides, temperature is all that matters, and the graph speaks for itself.

Also, GTX 480 block maybe old, but it produce a lot more heat than the modern GTX 680, so the result is even more pronounced.
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:32:24 AM

The waterblocks on the old GTX 480 were small blocks. If you think that those blocks were the same as the newer blocks then I think you're wrong. This new blocks are bigger.

Let me ask you a question. What waterblock you're using? Are you using a GTX waterblock?

Let me guess... you're using an Aquacomputer waterblock right?
m
l
!