Solved

Heatsink/fan Installation; Thermal Interface Question

So I'm building my first computer and I've bought an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Socket AM3 processor (PIB); I'm planning on using the heatsink/fan that was provided with it and while reading the instructions I noticed that it says the HSF already has pre-applied thermal interface material. However, the wording was a bit strange because it also seemed to imply that the CPU itself also needs TIM, but if the HSF already has it, then I don't need anything extra, right? (TIM on both CPU and HSF seems excessive and unnecessary)
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about heatsink installation thermal interface question
  1. Best answer
    The pre applied paste is ok you dont need to put any on the processor itself when its pre applied on heatsink.
  2. saaiello said:
    The pre applied paste is ok you dont need to put any on the processor itself when its pre applied on heatsink.

Alright, thanks a lot. I was sort of worried that I'd have to go out and buy some TMI. :sweat:
  3. Best answer selected by EnigmaticRunner.
  4. EnigmaticRunner said:
    Alright, thanks a lot. I was sort of worried that I'd have to go out and buy some TMI. :sweat:

The pre applied is fine but i like to use better paste then what they put on there so see how your temps look after a week and if you think they too high you might want to remove the pre applied and put some better paste on.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks Fan