Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Should be obvious but appreciate any input. I just unlocked 4th core on Phenom 2 x3 720. I assume unlocking the 4th core will raise the wattage thus increasing op temp of cpu. it idles about 41-42 with core unlocked. It has stock cooler from the Phenom 720. Is this temp OK and does anyone know temp range for the Phenom triple core and four core cpu's

Solution

"Intel Burn Test" will stress your processor for shorter test period. Since you are on stock, try testing on standard setting with 5 runs (3 minutes) or on 5 runs on high (8minutes). That should give a fair indication of what highest temperature your unlocked 720BE will be at stock cooler. At stock speed, I would not worry about temperature on stock cooler even with unlocked core.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I just ran a quick video stress test with HL 2 Lost coast, yes I know it's old .Temp went up to 47C and it got 195 fps, any better stress tests I could run to really check it out. Also I have amd fan set to quiet mode maybe I should increase speed of fan?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
run prime95.

you should be fine, the unlocking shouldn't add too much heat to the chip. it should need a whole lot of extra voltage either. did you have voltage on auto? try manually setting it to default, or just above. you may find the system is giving it more voltage than it needs.

randomkid

Distinguished

"Intel Burn Test" will stress your processor for shorter test period. Since you are on stock, try testing on standard setting with 5 runs (3 minutes) or on 5 runs on high (8minutes). That should give a fair indication of what highest temperature your unlocked 720BE will be at stock cooler. At stock speed, I would not worry about temperature on stock cooler even with unlocked core.

Solution

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I just ran it on high and very high mode. On high hung at around 57C maybe touched 58 once. On very high hung out around 59-60 and touched 61C once. I think I should be fine with the stock cooler. Thanks