Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Water and cleaning questions - advice needed

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 24, 2012 6:14:57 PM

I have read the WIKI here and some Google, but still have some questions about water and cleaning for my new water cooling setup.

Mainly, I know to use Distilled water, but most of what I find have things like added electrolytes and such. I don't think I should use those and just need to find plain Distilled water with nothing else added correct? Also, a lot of stores don't stock just plain Distilled water but do have "Purified Reverse Osmosis" water. When looking at Google, I am still unclear on the difference. It said "Reverse Osmosis" is similar to Distilled and a newer process that contains no minerals at all. Can I use Reverse Osmosis water if I can not find Distilled water in my system cooling?

Also, I was wondering about pre-cleaning the rads and parts. Some say to pre-clean your rads with Distilled water only and others say to use tap water then rise them with Distilled. But many areas, like mine, have hard water and we get a lot of lime deposit on sink faucets, dishes, etc. In that case, is it still safer or should you use Distilled or reverse osmosis water all the time even for all cleaning? Also, some say to boil the water and put your rads in for a while, is that safe? What should I do to clean the rads?

For using water color, I have some I got for my loop, but it has no additives. I have seen where some say you must use something like a few drops of PTNuke to the water in addition to your color when filling, but it's important to note I have read where this is NOT advised by some water cooling companies. I have 2 EK "Full Nickel" CPU water blocks that just came out this year and they say you should NOT use anything abrasive or aggressive like PTNuke and even vinegar is bad as it can damage the blocks causing them not to work and void warranty. I don't want to cause a problem either way and feel like I should follow what the company says about how to use it properly to not cause harm. Also, I have not seen where others are using any prevention or such added like in the new Maximum PC 2012 Dream Machine build.

Thanks for any info on this.

More about : water cleaning questions advice needed

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 11:20:16 AM

You should be able to buy normal distilled water from any shopping market (Safeway, Fred Meyer etc depending on your region/country). I don't know about the reverse osmosis water, but I would try to find pure distilled only.

You should preclean the radiators as they will have flux in them that you want to get out of there before you set up your loop. I'd just take some distilled water and heat it up and fill it up about 1/4 of the way, put a bit of dish soap and seal the ports. Then just shake the hell out of it (it's gonna be hot, so maybe use a towel to hold it while you do it. Shake it in every direction for a while, then open up and drain, then fill with water and do it again. After having done it once or twice, pour some of the water from the rad into a clear cup and wait until it settles and see what's in there. If there's still bits and stuff in it, keep washing until it's all out.

For coloring your loop there's two options that I'd reccomend: either you stick with just using colored tubing, or go for Mayhem's pastels. They won't gunk up your loop and look great. They also don't require additional additives, just the concentrate and distilled water and your good to go. Hope this helps
Share
August 29, 2012 5:22:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9TwhwVlllo
you will find this video helpful in terms of efficiently flushing your components
people usually have problems with coolants...if you use distilled water+kill coils/ptnuke it will be easier to clean the loop as distilled water doesnt clog up the loop...
coolants usually contain dye's that clog up your loop...in some cases,using distilled water voids your warrenty..but distilled water gives you the best temps possible..
hope it helps..:D 
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 5:52:16 PM

Best answer selected by HiTekJeff.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 5:58:02 PM

scopey86 said:
You should be able to buy normal distilled water from any shopping market (Safeway, Fred Meyer etc depending on your region/country). I don't know about the reverse osmosis water, but I would try to find pure distilled only.

You should preclean the radiators as they will have flux in them that you want to get out of there before you set up your loop. I'd just take some distilled water and heat it up and fill it up about 1/4 of the way, put a bit of dish soap and seal the ports. Then just shake the hell out of it (it's gonna be hot, so maybe use a towel to hold it while you do it. Shake it in every direction for a while, then open up and drain, then fill with water and do it again. After having done it once or twice, pour some of the water from the rad into a clear cup and wait until it settles and see what's in there. If there's still bits and stuff in it, keep washing until it's all out.

For coloring your loop there's two options that I'd reccomend: either you stick with just using colored tubing, or go for Mayhem's pastels. They won't gunk up your loop and look great. They also don't require additional additives, just the concentrate and distilled water and your good to go. Hope this helps


Thanks for the advice, I am going to clean out the rads using hot distilled water and rinse the resv and blocks too. Finding plain distilled water isn't that easy. Most stores have it, but with added vitamins, minerals, flavors, etc. I did locate some plain distilled finally.

Since my case is more classy type in terms of colors, I won't be using any of the colored tubes since they won't match. However, I did get Mayhem's and did a test. I must say that I was quite impressed and it will serve quite well without anything else added as you state. I got the silver color with clear PrimoChill flex tubing.

I will post pictures once my build is done. Thanks
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 7:07:35 PM

When you say silver mayhems, please tell me you haven't bought aurora to run in your loop?
Moto
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 11:02:13 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
When you say silver mayhems, please tell me you haven't bought aurora to run in your loop?
Moto


Absolutely, looks great too.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2012 11:12:40 PM

The reason motopsychojdn is hoping that you didn't buy Aurora is because Aurora isn't meant to be used as a 24/7 coolant. The "pearls" (what makes it look awesome) tend to settle with time and make it a hassle for cleaning. Mayhem's even says it should not be used for a 24/7 system, but rather to be used for show systems. They also say it's for basic loops normally, 1 rad, 1 res, 1 block. It's not that you can't use it, but you won't be able to use it for as long and it MAY require more time cleaning when it comes to refilling/changing anything.

Regardless I'd love to see some photos/videos of your build with Aurora, I love that stuff
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 12:52:28 AM

Exactly the reason I asked, and exactly the reasons not to use it in a normal loop :-)
Moto
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 3:00:57 AM

scopey86 said:
The reason motopsychojdn is hoping that you didn't buy Aurora is because Aurora isn't meant to be used as a 24/7 coolant. The "pearls" (what makes it look awesome) tend to settle with time and make it a hassle for cleaning. Mayhem's even says it should not be used for a 24/7 system, but rather to be used for show systems. They also say it's for basic loops normally, 1 rad, 1 res, 1 block. It's not that you can't use it, but you won't be able to use it for as long and it MAY require more time cleaning when it comes to refilling/changing anything.

Regardless I'd love to see some photos/videos of your build with Aurora, I love that stuff


Good to know, that was not stated on the site where I bought it. I went to Mayhem's web site and read the statement you mentioned. Seems like I may not be able to use it after all as this will be a high-end workstation build with 2-3 Black Ice SR-1 Rads and 2 CPUs plus video card. So, I am unsure now if I want to use it given what they state and what you said too. This is something that will be under heavy load most of the time rendering and such so I need something to use like it but without the drawbacks.

Can you or anyone recommend something like Mayhem's that has colors like the Aurora, no sparkles and such, but those colors? I have nothing that will color match my case which is a custom powder coat of deep black and silver sparkles (like stardust). What I need is a silver color or along those lines and I can't find them, only the vivid colors where mine is more of a classy design. If I have to, I will use a dye with added chemicals and a killcoil, but would prefer something like Mayhem's which is why I went with them to begin with for the design color and all-in-one use without additives.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 3:31:02 AM

You can use Mayhems still, but instead of Aurora switch to Pastel. Pastel has nice opaque colors and can be used for up to 2 years. I'm currently using it in my build with 3 radiators and 2 waterblocks (Mint Green).
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 1:33:41 PM

scopey86 said:
You can use Mayhems still, but instead of Aurora switch to Pastel. Pastel has nice opaque colors and can be used for up to 2 years. I'm currently using it in my build with 3 radiators and 2 waterblocks (Mint Green).


Yes, but that is still my problem, they have awful colors that are not matched for more classic styled cases. I did find white which is close, but more companies need to make silver, deep golds and black. Also, if I could find a black and also white dye, then I guess I could mix them to get close to a silver/grey color. Can't find any though, I am surprised most are just bright colors and such.
m
0
l
September 3, 2012 3:10:26 PM

Would using Mayhems Pastel White along with PrimoChill UV Black die bomb work OK together? It would give me the grey/silver look if I could combine them. Was not sure about the die bomb as some say they are bad to gunk up your cooling, but others say it's fine as long as you use about 25% of the solution in a coolant mix.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 4:28:10 PM

You would have to carefully monitor an mix them, and you are already aware that you will need to keep a good eye on things so go for it,
you know the effect you want, now its just finding a way to make it happen :) 
Best of luck and please feedback your progress for others to follow and maybe try themselves, collective learning is a powerful tool
Moto
m
0
l
!