Sign in with
Your question

PCI-e 1.0 vs. PCI-e 2.0 power cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2010 9:12:04 PM

Hi,

I've been having trouble with my Sapphire HD5770 card. Once the drivers installed I would get a black screen and it would never reach the windows 7 desktop.

Anyway, upon closer examination, I noticed the PCI-e power cord in the case that I used (which was from my old ATI 1950xt) is a PCI-e 1.0 cable. The number of pins is the same as the cable that comes with the new card, but one of the yellow strings doesn't loop (from one slot in the back of the pin to another) like it does in the new card's cable. Could this be why after the driver installs I get a black screen?

The reason I just don't swap it out and experiement is because the new cable is really short and the all the cords going into my PSU (OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V) seem different (maybe wrapped in something) and I'm damned if I know how to get the PSU open (all the cords go through a hole). As I'm sure you've figured out by now I did not build the system myself :) 

Thoughts?

EDIT: I re-installed my old video card and it seems to work OK.

More about : pci pci power cable

a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 1:31:47 AM

If the plug fits, the plug fits. Should work fine. Glad you got it working.
January 10, 2010 3:13:42 AM

jitpublisher said:
If the plug fits, the plug fits. Should work fine. Glad you got it working.

I haven't gotten it working. Just my old card, which is unstable in Windows 7 (goes on "standby" mode or something everyone once and while).

I still can't load my computer with the HD 5770 and the Catalyst driver installed.
Related resources
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 10:17:05 AM

umm..
1. don't open the PSU. There's nothing in the there to do...

2. why are you using adapters that came with the card?? Your psu has all the cables you need and then some:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...
PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin
The cables are wrapped just to get a cleaner look...

edit and the standby is just a power saving feature, nothing wrong with the card? Check the power management settings in windows...
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 10:21:51 AM

** this post quoted another one that got deleted, I'll remove this as well**
January 10, 2010 3:02:13 PM

Kari said:
umm..
1. don't open the PSU. There's nothing in the there to do...

2. why are you using adapters that came with the card?? Your psu has all the cables you need and then some:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...
PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin
The cables are wrapped just to get a cleaner look...

edit and the standby is just a power saving feature, nothing wrong with the card? Check the power management settings in windows...

1. Good. Probably wouldn't have been able to if I tried :) 

2. I'm not. I just noticed that there are some minor differences and I wondered if they could be the cause of my problems.

The core issue is that, with the catalyst drivers installed with my new video card, I can't even boot to windows 7. Sapphire as sent me a RMA link, but I don't want to waste $50 on that if it isn't the card (not to mention what I already lost on the card). I guess I should check and see what kind of warranty NCIX has.
!