Motherbord phenom II 940

johnjohnrose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello,
i bought an amd phenom II x4 940 am2+ socket cpu and am having trouble finding a motherboard new enough to run phenom II x4 with the older am2+ socket type. will a board with an am3 socket run an am2+ chip? someone had to have manufactured a board capable of running this thing before am3 hit the shelves. some am2+ boards that i've looked at say they support phenom or phenomII but not PhenomII X4(quad-core), and boards that support phenomII X4 usually are am3. my ideal motherboard would support 16GB ddr2 ram and have 2 pciexpress slots but would settle for 8GB and 1 pci-e if it will run my chip. someone please help!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I would have thought that the majority AM2 or AM2+ motherboard would work with an AM2+ chip. The whole point in the AM2+ socket was to allow a little bit of flexibility and backward compatibility with older motherboards. I always thought that just a BIOS update would be needed. Chances are if the specs say it supports Phenom II it will support the whole range. An AM2+ board should also support the AM3 models since they are backwards compatible too.

towhog66

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
i like the mobo i am using am2+ and am3.. its a good over clocker. not the best but i got a 9850 2.5 gh cpu up 3.0 ghz... just ordered the 940 be am2+ to help me set up run better..... IT IS THE ASUS M3N72-D.... if you can find it? it is also dual SLI and runs am3 so it says good luck....