Sign in with
Your question

Motherbord phenom II 940

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2010 7:13:40 AM

Hello,
i bought an amd phenom II x4 940 am2+ socket cpu and am having trouble finding a motherboard new enough to run phenom II x4 with the older am2+ socket type. will a board with an am3 socket run an am2+ chip? someone had to have manufactured a board capable of running this thing before am3 hit the shelves. some am2+ boards that i've looked at say they support phenom or phenomII but not PhenomII X4(quad-core), and boards that support phenomII X4 usually are am3. my ideal motherboard would support 16GB ddr2 ram and have 2 pciexpress slots but would settle for 8GB and 1 pci-e if it will run my chip. someone please help!

More about : motherbord phenom 940

March 21, 2010 8:01:56 AM

I would have thought that the majority AM2 or AM2+ motherboard would work with an AM2+ chip. The whole point in the AM2+ socket was to allow a little bit of flexibility and backward compatibility with older motherboards. I always thought that just a BIOS update would be needed. Chances are if the specs say it supports Phenom II it will support the whole range. An AM2+ board should also support the AM3 models since they are backwards compatible too.
Related resources
March 21, 2010 8:18:03 AM

If you're certain you want to use DDR2 memory in this setup though you will have to be certain that the board you choose supports DDR2 since a lot of AM3 board supports DDR3.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 1:51:11 PM

zipzoomfly - The 50 motherboards I linked to are combination boards that support AM3, AM2+, and AM2 cpu's.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 2:18:04 PM

johnjohnrose said:

some am2+ boards that i've looked at say they support phenom or phenomII but not PhenomII X4(quad-core)

if they say the board supports Phenom II that means it will support Phenom II x2, x3 and x4. Zipzoom listed you all the chipsets that will work. Simply find a board, go to the manufacturers web site. Look at the CPU compatible list for that model number of the board.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 3:52:14 PM

^5 +1 what ct1615 said!
March 22, 2010 7:04:29 AM

i like the mobo i am using am2+ and am3.. its a good over clocker. not the best but i got a 9850 2.5 gh cpu up 3.0 ghz... just ordered the 940 be am2+ to help me set up run better..... IT IS THE ASUS M3N72-D.... if you can find it? it is also dual SLI and runs am3 so it says good luck....
!