Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1800 firm Budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 15, 2010 7:42:05 PM

I used to be an avid system builder 6+ years ago. Unfortunately I am not as up on current market and trends when it comes to building a system.

The main question I have for everyone is this. With limited 1800 budget for a "complete" system including Monitor would I be better off buying a prebuilt Dell, HP, etc and upgrade it to meet my wants or needs.

Last computer I had was an HP m8100n that I wound up sticking 6gigs of ram in and upgraded the video card twice most recently to a gts 250 1gig. However I'm moving and leaving the current system for a friend who needs a computer.

So should I buy a nice prebuilt and upgrade or build from scratch with my limited budget.

I know you guys will ask what will I be doing so I'll lay out my wants/needs

I'm semi avid gamer. I play WoW quite often. I'm playing other misc games like Dragon Age, Bioshock etc. I wouldn't classify myself a Hardcore gamer but it's definitely something to factor in for my system.

Computer will also be used for home based business. Running numerous Adobe products. Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc.

As I'll be living in very small apt making my computer my "Media center" would also be a cost saving bonus. So I could watch Movies TV etc from computer.

My question with making it media center is do I go for an HDTV monitor like a Samsung T220hd or just get a nice 22"-24" monitor and add a TV card to the system.

Bottom Line i'm looking for absolute best bang for my buck. I'd also like the system to be upgradeable.. so when I have more cash I can drop components into the system rather than buying whole new computer.

Thanks for your input and advice.
Timeline for building/buying system is within next 2-3 weeks. I'll have access to major retail store's Fry's Electronics, Best buy, Staples etc. As well as being willing to buy from Newegg or Tigerdirect. I am comfortable putting a system together, but as I said i've been out of mainstream for awhile. So new bells and whistles might take some research time.

Listening........
Thanks

More about : 1800 firm budget

January 15, 2010 7:49:53 PM

Build it yourself. for 1800 you can build a nice rig. Get a good monitor with a 5850 i7 920 with the new gigabite board with usb 3.0 on it at about $210 there is a good deal on a psu and case on newegg for 109 after rebates 700W mid tower. I can show you my list for my build and it came out to about 1500 with the good stuff minus monitor
m
0
l
January 15, 2010 7:52:45 PM

Katharus said:
The main question I have for everyone is this. With limited 1800 budget for a "complete" system including Monitor would I be better off buying a prebuilt Dell, HP, etc and upgrade it to meet my wants or needs.


No....type $2000 into the search box at the top of the page and you'll get a list of recent builds that have been put together which you can emulate.....either due to price drops since those were done or some "shaving" we can get you down to $1800
m
0
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 7:54:40 PM

I'm afraid I don't have time right now to dig into all of it, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and have some good ideas for you.

However, if you're comfortable building the rig and supporting it yourself, I will say that $500 is the point where you should consider building it. Under that mark, and it's really hard to compete with the big names, as Win 7 is going to cost you about $100 on its own.

I've been speccing systems for a few different people recently, and at least one major manufacturer is still trying to sell desktops with DDR2 RAM in addition to other old technologies, as well as presumably shipping lower-quality parts and running the risk that they'll only need to RMA a small percentage of the hardware.

Since your budget is $1800, I'm pretty confident you can get something put together that will work for you.
m
0
l
January 15, 2010 7:58:54 PM

bigstott said:
Build it yourself. for 1800 you can build a nice rig. Get a good monitor with a 5850 i7 920 with the new gigabite board with usb 3.0 on it at about $210 there is a good deal on a psu and case on newegg for 109 after rebates 700W mid tower. I can show you my list for my build and it came out to about 1500 with the good stuff minus monitor



Let me know what your build is. I'm open. I also wouldn't mine playing with overclocking a little. I've read some good things on pushing the i7 920 to close to 4ghz. Of course that probably involves going with water cooling etc. Not sure I want to go that far. I would just like a fairly fast "stable" system. Great for gaming as well as my business and home entertainment needs.

If I went with i7 920 can it be OC'd with air cooling? Something good like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Other question is it still best to go with 2 HD's for best performance? Something fast and small for OS/programs Larger one for media files etc?
m
0
l
January 15, 2010 8:25:32 PM
January 15, 2010 11:22:50 PM

You won't be able to come close to the build I posted for the same price if you get an Oem prebuilt system.
m
0
l
January 17, 2010 3:47:40 AM

Katharus said:
Let me know what your build is. I'm open. I also wouldn't mine playing with overclocking a little. I've read some good things on pushing the i7 920 to close to 4ghz. Of course that probably involves going with water cooling etc. Not sure I want to go that far. I would just like a fairly fast "stable" system. Great for gaming as well as my business and home entertainment needs.

If I went with i7 920 can it be OC'd with air cooling? Something good like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Other question is it still best to go with 2 HD's for best performance? Something fast and small for OS/programs Larger one for media files etc?


Yeah as long as you have a good solid ATX case and good airflow 3.5+ oc is very likely with a stable system. I am going with 1 HD for right now. I will get a second in solid state eventually for the OS but for right now I just bought 1 Hard drive... plus i have a bacup PC for data anyways on a network.
Ok so Here is what i bought... The case and power supply were a combo for 110... got a good deal on 7 pro off ebay for 160 and the rest from newegg 1600 after shipping and rebates included.

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
i7 920
samsung F3 1tb black Hard drive
6 gig G skill ddr3 1600 ram
LG Blu ray combo drive

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
show details

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
show details

windows 7 pro

ATI 5850

m
0
l
!