Wanting to Overclock my FX 4100

Harlus708

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
So, this is my current set up:

Mobo: BIOSTAR A960A3+ AM3+ AMD 870 ATX AMD

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (Note: I have two sets of these, making it 16gigs)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

And of course I'm running the FX 4100

Its currently running, as read by my CCC and BIOs, at 3.7ghz

I've read plenty of reviews saying how well this thing can be OC'd and I'd like it to be about 4.5ghz if possible. I'm using a all copper thermaltake heat sink, and would like some advice on how to over clock it.

I have never oc'd a CPU before, but have done some 'dabbling' with my old GPU in CCC.

My biggest issue currently is CCC makes my computer reset when I attempt to auto-tune my processor. It will go through the first test, then pop a window saying 'Windows will now restart'. It does this over and over again, wih no sign of doing anything.

Solution
These things pull a lot of power once you OC them and your board's VRM section looks less beefy than it probably needs to be for 4.5 Ghz

It's rated at 125 TDP and the 4100 is rated at 95w with stock speeds.

Using this equation:

OC Wattage = TDP x ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) x ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2

And these guesstimates:

A) ~1.424v to reach 4.5Ghz
B) ~1.35 stock vcore
C) 3.3Ghz is the real stock clock due to APM throttling the CPU during prolonged heavy loads.
D) You have a BIOS version that can disable APM for your OC.

Your new CPU wattage @ 4.5 Ghz will be 144w

Using the same equation and a clock speed of 4Ghz and a vcore of 1.4v, your CPU wattage will be about 124w

If you can go faster with less voltage, you can stay below...

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
These things pull a lot of power once you OC them and your board's VRM section looks less beefy than it probably needs to be for 4.5 Ghz

It's rated at 125 TDP and the 4100 is rated at 95w with stock speeds.

Using this equation:

OC Wattage = TDP x ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) x ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2

And these guesstimates:

A) ~1.424v to reach 4.5Ghz
B) ~1.35 stock vcore
C) 3.3Ghz is the real stock clock due to APM throttling the CPU during prolonged heavy loads.
D) You have a BIOS version that can disable APM for your OC.

Your new CPU wattage @ 4.5 Ghz will be 144w

Using the same equation and a clock speed of 4Ghz and a vcore of 1.4v, your CPU wattage will be about 124w

If you can go faster with less voltage, you can stay below the 125w mark.

That being said, here's a cut-n-paste from another thread I discussed overclocking a 4100:

I tested the 4100 I OC'ed with the stock cooler and found that it gets rather hot when it's bone stock.

I used a TX3 for the one I overclocked.

CPU-Z will tell you voltages.

HWmonitor can show you CPU temps

And prime 95 can stress test your CPU to find out just how hot it will get under full load.

The trick is to go as fast as you can while keeping stable, with the least amount of voltage and heat.

As you increase your speed, most motherboards will increase voltage automatically. You have to keep an eye on the voltage to make sure it's not too high after you bump speed. I stayed below 1.40x IIRC and reached 4.4 Ghz.

If the voltage gets too high, try using a negative offset. (in the BIOS)

If the OC is unstable and you need more voltage, try a positive offset, or LLC adjustment. (again, in the BIOS)

Also, there is a function called APM (advanced power management or something like that)

It causes the chip to throttle to a slower speed under full load and pretty much defeats part of your OC.

Older motherboards don't even show the function in the BIOS, but most offer a BIOS update (My UD3 needed version F8) to show this function and give you the ability to disable it.

You will find different recommended max temps for this chip, I just kept temps below 60C. (That's a conservative temp limit from what I've read though)

Solution

Harlus708

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for all the advice, and the time it took to type all that out for a newbie.

Once I get a chance (Working a double today) I'll try all of this, then reply with my results.

Thanks again.