Will this heatsink fit?

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi all, I recently bought an asus M4A785-M motherboard and an amd phenom 955, and the stock fan is horrible, 72 celcius idle.... I was looking at newegg and saw the arctic cooler freezer 64 heatsink fan, for 30 bucks and it had good reviews, problem is I don't know if it will fit in my motherboard. Can I get help from people who know the two items?

The AC unit is not that good the only thing it will do is lower fan noise and doesn't offer much in the cooling department over stock.
A much better cooler is the CM Hyper 212+ provided you can find one.
http://www.ncixus.com/products/41337/RR-B10-212P-GP/COOLERMASTER/
It's 158.5mm tall so make sure it will fit in your case.
Any unversal cooler will fit youur mobo/ram and dimm interference is more of a concern.

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi again, I found the hyper for 30 bucks at frys.com. Is this easy to install or do I have to remove the motherboard? Also my case fan is at 2500rpm, is this normal? Thanks

$30 is a good deal.

You have to remove the mobo since the Hyper 212+ comes with a back plate for the mobo. Take a look of my signature and u can find an installation manual of the Hyper 212+.

About the fan it's normal since I think that is a high end fan.

Hyper 212+ is one of the best in that price range. I say go for it. And it also supports all AM3/AM2/AM2+ sockets. The main question is will it fit in your cabinet? I bought a new cabinet before i bought i first CPU cooler because my older one was too narrow and a local one with bad airflow!

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi again sorry for the late post. I looked at my processor and saw that there was barely any thermal paste paste on it and it was also uneven, also I forgot to clean the old thermal paste off before installing the stock cooler that had pre applied thermal paste. I'm using my old fan now and it says it's at 60 celcius idle, but I put my hand on the heatsink while it was running and it felt really cold, I figured none of the heat from the Cpu was going to the heatskink so the fan spinning at 5000rpm was cooling nothing, I ordered some arctic silver 5 from newegg. If I remove the old thermal paste and apply the new one it will solve my problems correct? Remember I have barely any thermal paste on it right now and it is very uneven, thanks.

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Well I already ordered arctic silver 5, and plus it has 4000 5 star reviews on newegg so it can't be bad, and probably better than the stock thermal. I am now going to use the stock amd heatsink with my old 80mm fan, since the stock amd fan is trash. I'm going to tighten the fan on it with some cable ties since it's bigger then the stock fan place an won't fit.

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ok so I got the thermal paste and applied. Now my temps are 43 idle and 46 when playing a game. Problem is fan still at 4500 rpm, omg i can't take the sound anymore. I tried cool n quiet, asus probe, overdrive, bios, speedfan NORTHING WORKS, even q fan doesn't work, constantly at 4500 rpm. Yes I put the thermal paste correctly. When I touch heatsink tho its not even hot. My fan is 80mm 3 pin what do I do help please. Do you think the processor has sone heat problems, comp loads awfully slow an shuts downs awfully slow now and takes like 5 min to load at windows screen, maybe the processor is damaged?

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The CPU fan place, I am now taking the 4 pin amd stock fan connector and connecting it to the 3 pin fan I'm using now, I hope the 4th pin yellow connector gives me control of the fan

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Well the computer doesn't even recognize the fan now, it says no CPU fan but fan is spinning and temps are same, you think the only thing left to do is get a new fan?

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Why does it get so hot anyway, I read otter reviews and they say their 955 is usually at 30 degrees celcius. I don't even have it overclocked,
Using good thermal paste, and a fan at 4500 rpm and still 43 degrees idle? Maybe the heatsink is bad? Or maybe the processor or motherboard have heat problems.

Fpsmasta

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Well I guess I can order a fan and return it if it makes no difference right?

Can you suggest a good heatsink fan that fits in my case? The hyper 212 does not fit at all, if you give me some coolers then I will reply if they fit or not.

TRENDING THREADS