Sign in with
Your question

Need Urgent Help

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2010 7:53:49 PM

hello all, this is probs my last time posting about this, but i recently built a desktop, and it lit up with the mobo led, but didnt turn on...at all...no fans, spin up, anything. so i do EVERY TROUBLESHOOTING TECHNIQUE (if somebody shows me the list of things one more time, :fou:  ) anyway, so i replace the psu, nothing happens, replace the mobo, nothing happens, replace the cpu, nothing happens, replace the ram, put in in different slots, nothing happens, try breadboarding, nothing happens, reputting together everything, nothing happens, this entire time i have been wearing anti static, and i have tried resetting the cmos, and i think i did it correctly, but that was on the first board anyway, so still nothing happens. i cant think of any reason, and im getting ready to just take it to bestbuy. i am no noob at this, so i highly doubt its some user error wrong wire thing. please help, i owe this to somebody, and i really need advice. mobo is asus m-evo (785g), 550 callsito, 4 gigs, no vid card, 640 gb black edition wd, smilodon case, with rosewill (replaced the smilodon psu) psu.

More about : urgent

January 15, 2010 8:13:37 PM

Is this your motherboard??? ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G

Is this your CPU??? AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz rev.C3

If you are running the rev.C3, check your BIOS version on the motherboard ( http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldoc... ). You need to be running 0902 or higher for the CPU to work. If you are below that, it might be why your board won't boot since it won't recognize the CPU.

Also, what Rosewill PSU are you using? (It shouldn't be the issue but they are not much better than smilodon)

edit:
Are you hearing any beep codes from the internal speaker on the motherboard that might help out??
I know you don't want to see a list, but this is a great list to just reference against.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:18:05 PM

yep, those are the 2, and it say rev 1.02, so its higher, and the rosewill was 30$, and it was on the good half of their products
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 8:25:14 PM

Sorry... I mis-stated... You can't tell the BIOS from the motherboard. You are looking at the Rev level of the board.

Have you tried contacting ASUS to see what feedback they say or if they can tell you what BIOS you have??
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:26:54 PM

If the mobo power light comes on the my next guess would be the power switch is plugged into the wrong pins on the motherboard.

The only other thing I can think for you to do is open up your own machine and hook up each component individually to see which work and which dont. The PSU, HDD and RAM (if compatible) would be pretty easy to hook up in an already working computer.

*edit* ... or it could be the bios thing posted above
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:31:10 PM

the power pin has been plugged in in the right 2 pin thing, going both ways.
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:37:37 PM

Have you tried plugging in the reset button into the power connector and try that to start PC?? Maybe the case button is bad?
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:39:38 PM

what do you mean? and those were my thoughts, but i just dont know, or have a spare case.
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:41:59 PM

What Techmo said is if the case power button is bad, but it has a reset button - you can hook the reset cable to the power button pins on the motherboard and use the reset button to turn it on and off.
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:46:40 PM

ares1214 said:
what do you mean? and those were my thoughts, but i just dont know, or have a spare case.

Most cases have a power switch & reset switch. They are interchangable, so I'm suggesting plugging in the reset switch to where you have the power switch on the MOBO. Use that to try & start the PC
m
l
!