Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to pick a graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 9, 2010 11:52:34 PM

Hi,
I am wondering about a good and fairly cheap video card for online gaming in a casual fashion. I am currently using the onboard system for my dell optiplex 330, this just had a brand new hard drive and mother board put in courtsy of dell. Thanks

More about : pick graphics card

a c 1311 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 11:55:47 PM

Is it a desktop, slim tower or mini tower case?
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 11:58:19 PM

What kind of games are you talking about exactly?
A pretty good and fairly cheap card for low resolution 3D gaming is an HD4760. Is your computer case normal size or one of the "slim" models?
Related resources
January 10, 2010 12:03:36 AM

ageralds1 said:
Hi,
I am wondering about a good and fairly cheap video card for online gaming in a casual fashion. I am currently using the onboard system for my dell optiplex 330, this just had a brand new hard drive and mother board put in courtsy of dell. Thanks




desk top normal tower. I am not sure what kind of games, I am currently playing spellborn and city of heros but I am not sure how long I will be playing those. I know a few new ones are coming out that look fun.
January 10, 2010 12:10:13 AM

ageralds1 said:
Hi,
I am wondering about a good and fairly cheap video card for online gaming in a casual fashion. I am currently using the onboard system for my dell optiplex 330, this just had a brand new hard drive and mother board put in courtsy of dell. Thanks




If it's a regular mid tower, instead of a slimline or mini...then the 4670 or the 9600GT would be two cards that are about equal and about $70.00-$100.00
They are better than what I have so they should be adequate for mid level games...my 8600 does fine on low level games and I've never tried it on the higher games to let you know what it's capable of...
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 12:11:13 AM

Yeah, for 3D gaming you'll want at least an HD4670. What is the native resolution of your monitor and what is your budget exactly?
January 10, 2010 12:13:33 AM

jyjjy said:
Yeah, for 3D gaming you'll want at least an HD4670. What is the native resolution of your monitor and what is your budget exactly?



budget is under 100$ and I have no idea how to find out the resolution thing. Sorry :( 
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 12:17:06 AM

Right click on the desktop and select "properties." The resolution will be listed on the settings tab. Or we can estimate from the size of the monitor if you know that.
January 10, 2010 12:19:44 AM

jyjjy said:
Right click on the desktop and select "properties." The resolution will be listed on the settings tab. Or we can estimate from the size of the monitor if you know that.



the monitor is about 18 x 12, it won't show me properties when I right click

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 12:35:06 AM
Share

That monitor is semi large if those numbers are correct and may be 1680x1050. If so you should spend a little more on at least a 9800GT which is the best card within your budget that will work with your PSU. Make sure to get one of the newer low power versions that don't require a power connector.
January 10, 2010 12:48:01 AM

jyjjy said:
That monitor is semi large if those numbers are correct and may be 1680x1050. If so you should spend a little more on at least a 9800GT which is the best card within your budget that will work with your PSU. Make sure to get one of the newer low power versions that don't require a power connector.



Thanks! I appreciate that you took the time to work through that with me
!