NET USE printing

My DOS application needs to print on server 2003 printers
and shared usb printers on workstations. I've tried
things like "net use lpt1 \\server\HP 400\" etc without
success. Where can I learn all there is to know about
NET USE?

Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When a command prompt opens | Type:

NET USE /?

Hit Enter
-----

Open Help and Support | Type: Net use in the Search box | Click the green
arrow |
-----

Command-line reference
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

Command-line reference A-Z
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

Or >>

Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Click OK
-----

Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm

Click OK
-----

Net use
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/net_use.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:335301c4ae1a$4fd37f60$a601280a@phx.gbl,
DennySharpe <DennySharpe@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> My DOS application needs to print on server 2003 printers
> and shared usb printers on workstations. I've tried
> things like "net use lpt1 \\server\HP 400\" etc without
> success. Where can I learn all there is to know about
> NET USE?

I still need a little more help. The documentation is
very good but it does not cover my printer problem. It
does not show an example of how to hook up to a shared
printer, where it would equate LPT1 to that device. I am
typing something wrong when I try...
net use lpt1 "\\bobbiesxp\hp deskjet 400"
but it only tells me that it is rejected. I don't know
what else to type.
Denny

See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
www.coribright.com

"DennySharpe" <DennySharpe@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My DOS application needs to print on server 2003 printers
> and shared usb printers on workstations. I've tried
> things like "net use lpt1 \\server\HP 400\" etc without
> success. Where can I learn all there is to know about
> NET USE?

Okay, you've gotten me an a much improved track. But it
still won't print. I can monitor the printer from
workstations so I know the sharing is okay and "NET USE"
shows it as "OK". And my DOS program functions as it
should. But the printer shows that it is receiving data
(spooling actually) but then the report does not print,
the status just says "error printing" and there is no
error number to investigate. I've tried it from 2
different stations including the one to which the printer
is attached, via USB, without success. Do you have any
more ideas? Windows prints fine and the printer is set
to default.
Denny

Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
>"DennySharpe" <DennySharpe@adelphia.net> wrote in
message
>> My DOS application needs to print on server 2003
printers
>> and shared usb printers on workstations. I've tried
>> things like "net use lpt1 \\server\HP 400\" etc without
>> success. Where can I learn all there is to know about
>> NET USE?
>>

>.

Denny,

What's it say in the Event Viewer?

Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK |
Look in Application and System

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:342f01c4af36$8d72eaf0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Denny Sharpe <DennySharpe@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> Okay, you've gotten me an a much improved track. But it
> still won't print. I can monitor the printer from
> workstations so I know the sharing is okay and "NET USE"
> shows it as "OK". And my DOS program functions as it
> should. But the printer shows that it is receiving data
> (spooling actually) but then the report does not print,
> the status just says "error printing" and there is no
> error number to investigate. I've tried it from 2
> different stations including the one to which the printer
> is attached, via USB, without success. Do you have any
> more ideas? Windows prints fine and the printer is set
> to default.
> Denny

Wesley Sir,
All it says is "! Warning". then under source, it says "print" and under
category "None" and event is 8. I don't imagine this will help you see what
is wrong. But thank you for responding.
Denny Sharpe

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Denny,
>
> What's it say in the Event Viewer?
>
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK |
> Look in Application and System
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:342f01c4af36$8d72eaf0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
> Denny Sharpe <DennySharpe@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> > Okay, you've gotten me an a much improved track. But it
> > still won't print. I can monitor the printer from
> > workstations so I know the sharing is okay and "NET USE"
> > shows it as "OK". And my DOS program functions as it
> > should. But the printer shows that it is receiving data
> > (spooling actually) but then the report does not print,
> > the status just says "error printing" and there is no
> > error number to investigate. I've tried it from 2
> > different stations including the one to which the printer
> > is attached, via USB, without success. Do you have any
> > more ideas? Windows prints fine and the printer is set
> > to default.
> > Denny

Denny,

Have a look here...

Windows XP Professional Events and Errors Search Results
for "print 8"
http://tinyurl.com/6dn6z

=====

Event Viewer

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes