Installing Advanced Format Drive

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi All,

My hard drive packed in on a Sony Vaio laptop recently. I down loaded linux and pulled off all the data I need so file recovery is not an issue. The laptop is out of warranty but I made rescue disks the day I bought the machine so the solution looked simple, buy a new HD and reinstall from the recovery disks. This is the problem: I put the new HD in and ran the recovery disks; once they were all in the machine ejected the last disk and rebooted. Two errors came up. First was:

Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware.

Clicking ok (the only option) and the machine seemed to get back to starting windows then popped up:

A disk read error occurred Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

Doing this just leads to a loop back to this error message. I have searched the net for a solution but everyone has different computers and drives, most seem to be upgrade issues as opposed to recovery to a new HDD, but this error seems to show up for quite a few reasons. So HELP!

What’s the system:
It’s a Sony Vaio VPCEB1EOE
Running Windows 7 Home Premium
The old clapped out HD was a Toshiba 3265GSX, 320 GB
The new HD is a Toshiba MK5059GXSP, 500GB
AMI Bios version 1.28.1119

What have I already tried? I have looked at the BIOS and it sees the 500GB HD. The Boot order is ok. I have entered the Recovery Center (on the HD) and selected reinstall C Drive. The Sony shop, (where I bought the lap top and the new HD) advised me to do this since the disks just load the data to the recovery partition and only on reboot does windows get installed. This seemed to work, got the progress bar all the way to 100%. But after it finished it returned to the error: A disk read error occurred Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

Some forums seem to suggest tweeking BIOS saying the computer thinks it’s a raid configuration but the BIOS on my lap top are really basic and don’t have options. I think that the problem could be that the new HDD is an Advanced Format disk. I’m not a very computer savvy person so a lot of what’s said on forums is double Dutch to me but from what I can see the problem is that the partitions are not aligned. Can I do an install from the recovery disks without partitioning? Any way to check if it is an advance format HD issue? Some people talk about updating the BIOS to the latest version, but how do you do anything on a HD that won't boot? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ty

Solution
We have had confirmation from Sony that anything other than a RAM upgrade is not supported. Daft I know as hard drives will always fail. So Sony will not be providing a solution for this other than source an AF drive from them at 10 times the normal price for a hard drive.

We have found a couple of solutions.

1. Upgrade to an SSD drive. Expensive but in my opinion, the speed increase is worth it.

2. If your old hard drive is working well enough to run a recovery, do so. Then install the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver (at least v9.6) and then clone this to your new drive and all should be ok.

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Hi Rolli59,

Thanks for the reply. The disks are the recovery disks that I made when I bought the Laptop. So they restore the OS to the factory default on any HDD, even a new one. The disks partition the new HDD drive and then add the recovery files to the recovery partition. I can see the partition on the drive, says its full but the files are hidden which is as you say. So that part is working, Then it reboots and installs windows from the recover partition that the disks created and wrote to. But it locks up before trying to install windows.

The C Drive partition doesn't have much on it even after entering the recovery console and selecting re install the C Drive, which it appears to do.

I did try running Toshiba's Partition Alignment Tool for Advanced Format Drives, this said there was no partitions that needed alignment so that disqualifies the Advanced Format as an issue. At the moment I am completely erasing the HDD, including partitions and I’ll run the recovery process again.

My life is ebbing away on this one, anyone have a silution?

Ty

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Anyone know where and how I can upgrade the BIOS for a SONY VAIO Laptop: VPCEB1EOE. The current version is: AMI Bios version 1.28.1119

I think updating the BIOS could do the job but I have never done this and don't know what to download or how to add it. Bear in mind that the laptop won't boot into windows. If any of you clever guys know what the steps are I'd appreciate your help. I did download Knoppix Linux to take off the data from the old failed drive so if that helps in loading BIOS great. Does Windows 7 come with the driver for this HDD? I have asked toshiba tech, will have to wait for that answer till Monday.

jaseone

Honorable
May 3, 2012
BIOS updates should be available from VAIO update which is preloaded on the machine.

The statement below is incorrect.
(Recovery CD only works with an harddrive that already has the windows files on it like most OEM's do in a hidden partition. It does not have the full operating system on it and it does not work unless the HDD has a recovery partition on it)

I work for a laptop repair company which is also Sony authorised. We have replaced thousands of hard drives (which start off blank) in VAIO laptops.

ctkjaneway

Honorable
May 8, 2012

I have had the same issue with my sony vaio VPCF12AFM. The hard drive crashed, I had it replaced with a litte bit larger one but compatible, brought it home and installed the VAIO recovery disks that I purchased from sony. I get the same error message. Kid at the Geed Squad said I bought the wrong hard drive, said I am supposed to buy an "advanced format" drive. The guy at the computer store where I bought the hard drive says he is crazy that the one I bought is compatible.
Any assistance would be appreciated!

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I gave up and as a temporary fix I used kill disk to wipe my original faulty Toshiba 3265GSX drive, which reinstalled fine. I then went online and ordered a new one and installed that, no problem. So clearly an issue with drive compatibility wiht the drivs the Sony shop were stocking. A few days wasted and no clear help from the Sony Center, who didn't know what the problem was which is disappointing because I bough the lap top from them and it was only a couple of years old.

jaseone

Honorable
May 3, 2012
We have had confirmation from Sony that anything other than a RAM upgrade is not supported. Daft I know as hard drives will always fail. So Sony will not be providing a solution for this other than source an AF drive from them at 10 times the normal price for a hard drive.

We have found a couple of solutions.

1. Upgrade to an SSD drive. Expensive but in my opinion, the speed increase is worth it.

2. If your old hard drive is working well enough to run a recovery, do so. Then install the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver (at least v9.6) and then clone this to your new drive and all should be ok.

Solution

jaseone

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Sorry, just noticed a typo in my last comment. It should have said 'So Sony will not be providing a solution for this other than source A NON AF drive from them at 10 times the normal price for a hard drive.