Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What kind of cooling do I need?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 25, 2012 7:47:22 AM

I am going to overclock my i7 2600k (3.4 ghz) cpu to probably about 4-4.4 ghz. Do I need water cooling at all or can I just go powerful heatsink? Or do I need Corsair Hydro h80 or h100 closed loop water cooling, or do I even need to go as far as custom building water cooling. I have a case with 8 fans in it and have pretty good air flow and a stock CPU heatsink and running at a stock clock. Thanks for the advice.

More about : kind cooling

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 7:48:09 AM

A Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO will get you to 4.5ghz easily!
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 8:02:34 AM

I've responded in your other thread about external radboxes dude,
W/c isn't so much a need these days as a want, you could do this on a highend aircooler, but a good W/c loop will give you the best results and W/c is very addictive, its a whole hobby in its own right, not just a way of cooling your parts :) 
you also lose any shreds of sanity you had hanging around too
Moto
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 2:21:55 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I've responded in your other thread about external radboxes dude,
W/c isn't so much a need these days as a want, you could do this on a highend aircooler, but a good W/c loop will give you the best results and W/c is very addictive, its a whole hobby in its own right, not just a way of cooling your parts :) 
you also lose any shreds of sanity you had hanging around too
Moto

Talk about trying to sell it to him lol :kaola: 
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 3:41:42 PM

I do try to cover both sides of the debate, its not entirely necessary, but anything fun rarely is :) 
Moto
m
l
August 25, 2012 4:11:47 PM

I do want to do W/c but I was continuing to do research on it and figured out that I can fit a 360 on the top of my case somehow. I didn't look before because there are already 2 230mm fans up there. After that, I priced it and got $330, which I kinda don't wanna spend. Also I was reading about how premixed sometimes screws with your system and dies clog stuff up and also I really don't wanna screw up and fry my CPU, graphics card, or mobo.
m
l

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 10:40:36 PM

You can fit rads outside fine, I have one mounted on top of my case and two in the external radbox the Pc stands on,
One thing you've already noticed is the cost :-)
Real water costs good money, if you can't, or are unwilling to spend serious amounts of money on it, I would say don't get into it, I'd rather dissuade you from it than have you cheap out and have a bad experience that puts you off it altogether,
Premixes are to be avoided generally, the colored ones break down as you've learned , the $$$ 'nonconductive super pure' offerings are lies to part newcomers from their money promising safety, and cost reflects that, if its expensive it must be very good right?
And at any rate, anything added to plain distilled water detracts from cooling, be it anti-corrosion,anti-freeze or anti-algae, UV light keeps it clear of crawlies and doesn't affect the water in any way
Plain distilled and a silver coil is what most of us use, I personally use UV cathodes as well
Moto
August 26, 2012 2:59:28 AM

Best answer selected by ryanlaxman.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 9:12:18 AM

No problem man, if you do decide to go for it, throw a post up outlining what you want cooled and max budget, we'll get you sorted :) 
and Thank you for b.a.
Moto
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:33:20 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
No problem man, if you do decide to go for it, throw a post up outlining what you want cooled and max budget, we'll get you sorted :) 
and Thank you for b.a.
Moto

I kinda already priced and decided what I want so when/if I'm going with it, I'll post it. Thanks!
m
l
!