I need professional help here.

Erebusz

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Guys, I don't know what's the problem of my computer. I bought a CPU from my friend with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, Gigabyte M56S-S3 Motherboard, Memory 2 gig (2 pcs 1gig Kingston), 80gb Hardisk, GeForce 7600 GT (256mb), Flatron LCD 19" Wide, Generic Power supply 300W. Sometimes when I turn it on it has an identified letters/numbers on the screen, if I'm not wrong that's the starting prompt, I can't read a thing on it cause it comes with unknown letters and numbers and then after that my screen just goes black and will not continue to Windows anymore, and then I have to restart my computer until the staring prompt turns into a normal letters and numbers with my computer specs on it. Sometimes when the Windows starts it blink for a couple of minutes, goes black screened and then goes back and after a sec it happens again.. What do you think is the main problem with my PC ? I asked my friend with a little knowledge on it and says that maybe I don't have enough power supply cause it's only 300W Generic power supply. In games, I don't have problem anymore, I have good details in graphics of the game I'm playing.. Please help me guys, I would really appreciate it.. Thank you.

Id say power supply or ram.
Remove 1 stick of ram, see how it does. If its still doing it, replace the 1 you removed with the 1 in the case, see if it works, could be faulty stick of ram.
If its psu, removing anything drawing power will help. If your mobo has an IGP, try removing your gfx card and run your rig, if the problem never occurs, then its most likely your psu.
Do all these things 1 at a time, so you can pinpouint the problem

Erebusz

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Oic,, but don't you think that maybe my video card has a defect or something ? My 1 gig RAM is different from the other one, but it's both Kingston. The other one is much bigger, but it's both 1gig RAM..