ASUS sabertooth p67 and the Intel dh67cl desktop board

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Sabertooth
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 25, 2012 8:08:18 AM

Hello, i am here to explain to everyone about over clocking. I had the intel dh67 cl motherboard and now am primarily using the sabertooth p67. i am successfully overclocked to 4.5 ghz and honestly, theres literally no difference between the two boards that i see. maby someone can help me see them but the performance in all my games, bf3, assasians creed, gta iv, are all the same.
the only difference is you could use sli? why would you want to use sli when you make youur cards run at 8x and if you use 3 cards then you run them ar 4 x? by the time you do this you might as well have just used one good card. theres not much of a difference between those two boards. they both have the same frequencyas in ram, the frontside bus and can both go up to
32 gbs of memory. they are both capable of running the intel core i72600k, the only difference is this, when i got this asus, it turned my intel core if2500 into a 2500k. i was still able to unlock the processor cores and overclock them independantly.
cores 1 and 2 are running at 3.33 ghz while cores 3 and 4 are running at 4.5 ghz. could anyone explain why even though i have the model 2500, but i can still unlock my cores? weird.... maby a bios fixed the previous owner used? maby theres a fix out there? someone please explain this weirdness to me!

More about : asus sabertooth p67 intel dh67cl desktop board

a c 785 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2012 10:21:33 AM

For your first question it a simple an sure. all intel and amd mb have to be made to that vendor spec. same for video cards they have to be made to the vendor min-um refrance spec. if not the cards or mb would not work 100 percent of the time with most standard hardware. what after market vendors do give a user is sometime a better bios or better parts over the standard intel mb. msi and other vendors are now switching over to military class parts that have a lower failure rate then the standard stock parts on an intel mb. or the vendor use larger heat sinks and power on there mb so that you can overclock the mb without having the mb melt or smoke. (look at the old gigbyte x79 mb video that fried at it first boot up. the power part of the mb was under sized for the cpu and the overclock...at that time there was no bios safty to stop you from drawing to much power out of the mb. the guy turns on the pc and it fries.).
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:19:32 AM

smorizio said:
For your first question it a simple an sure. all intel and amd mb have to be made to that vendor spec. same for video cards they have to be made to the vendor min-um refrance spec. if not the cards or mb would not work 100 percent of the time with most standard hardware. what after market vendors do give a user is sometime a better bios or better parts over the standard intel mb. msi and other vendors are now switching over to military class parts that have a lower failure rate then the standard stock parts on an intel mb. or the vendor use larger heat sinks and power on there mb so that you can overclock the mb without having the mb melt or smoke. (look at the old gigbyte x79 mb video that fried at it first boot up. the power part of the mb was under sized for the cpu and the overclock...at that time there was no bios safty to stop you from drawing to much power out of the mb. the guy turns on the pc and it fries.).

lmao, well remind me to never get a gigabit board. i have the gtx 560 ti and that card is a beautiful card. i wanted to get a second one but my friend tells me youll just run slower in 8x speed and it stopped me from doing sli. i want to so bad. In the ai tweakers settings, i select manual cpu override. it gives an option by all cores or by 4 cores. so i just slected by 4 cores, it says (can adjust in os) and i was like how do you adjust in os? this board is almost rocket science to me, i have googled how to get it to overclock at a high speed, but nothing. it just only offers support on the 2500k. im pissed because if i would have paid an extra 20 bucks i would have had it. not saying this is a bad cpu, its a beast. im dissapointed because i had to underclock my cpu because i was blu screening. how do i rais the voltage without frying the damn thing! i want it to run at those speeds again. if someone can explain to me how to raise them and successfully oc, i would appreciate it. i thought i had it but apparently, i bluescreened and regretted it when i loaded up bf3.
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 6:22:49 AM

What the frak did I just read? :heink: 
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:29:04 AM

ignore me, i just dont think anyone will know what i am talking about unless they graphically see whawt i am trying to do. i give up.
m
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 6:30:51 AM

Well, you didn't include pics.

And your "guide" was VERY jumbled up....
m
l
a c 139 V Motherboard
a c 116 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 6:31:23 AM

iamthaman87 said:
i have the gtx 560 ti and that card is a beautiful card. i wanted to get a second one but my friend tells me youll just run slower in 8x speed and it stopped me from doing sli.

Umm, ok. SLI is perfectly fine with x8/x8. Hell, Crossfire works fine with one slot running @ just x4. SLI probably would too, if Nvidia would allow it.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:51:22 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Umm, ok. SLI is perfectly fine with x8/x8. Hell, Crossfire works fine with one slot running @ just x4. SLI probably would too, if Nvidia would allow it.

How do i properly raise the voltages? theres an auto button but i can select it and type in like.85 or something. i am familiar with the socket 775 motherboards on overclicking and they make it simple. i want to be able to learn how to make overclocking profiles.
every time i do it fails. i had it pretty high then windows restarts so i underclocked the board. the model i have is the asus sabertooth p67. on the old boards, i just looked at how many voltages the processor was running at, then i was abnle to raise it easily but with this board, it wants me to type the voltages. thats all im trying to ask.
m
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 6:55:30 AM

Quote:
Hello, i am here to explain to everyone about over clocking.

Wait, what? [:lutfij:2]

I'm not following.....
m
l
a c 139 V Motherboard
a c 116 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 6:59:01 AM

iamthaman87 said:
How do i properly raise the voltages?

There are two ways (and I just looked at the manual, like you should have done, lol). Go to Ai Tweaker in the BIOS and you can set the "CPU Voltage" to "Manual" or "Offset".

Manual will give you a solid, never changing voltage, while offset will allow the voltage to drop at idle (and that's what I use, although mainly because I have to with my board).

After that, it should be pretty much self explanatory. Just add voltage...

An Offset voltage guide, if you need it: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclock...
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:59:36 AM

I know, it worked but failed in the middle of battlefield 3. i know i make no since. just help me if you will kindly, raise the voltages without frying my cpu, then im out of your hair lol. i had the ratios raised but now im not even touching that unless i know how to raise the voltages. if not its fine. i know most people do not support it anyways.
m
l

Best solution

a c 139 V Motherboard
a c 116 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 7:08:26 AM

I honestly don't know what else to tell you...

For 4.5Ghz, you should be around 1.300-1.330V, so it's not exact, first of all, and it'll take some work to get it right. Raise the voltage 0.005V at a time until you stop crashing.

You won't really start hurting your chip until you start venturing over the 1.40V line. Even then, it's a slow degradation and not instant death (it would take well over 1.5V for that), and you won't need anywhere near 1.4V for 4.5 anyway.
August 26, 2012 10:00:25 AM

finally i get help. i will try that and thank you. i have a 30 dollar cooler master heat sink so i should be fine. i also have 4 2 gbs of pny ram equaling 8 gbs of 1333. for a computer this is not bad at all. i have a 750 watt enermax powersupply with changable cords and a haf 932 case so even if i try, my arflow is miraculus. i really dont believe i should have problems and feel this wouldnt even be a risk. i mostlikely will get a second gtx 560 ti graphics card or a cheap little 550ti for a physics card. im trying to max out arkham city with physic set to high. i am a little buggy. a little more money spent on the cpu and video card to have a 580, im sure id be fine yet the 560 is better in texture rendering at higher resolutions. im almost positive that even without a physics card, i could overclock the host frequency on the dram, and hopefuly i can beast the *** out of arkham city. im going to try the voltages and hopefully ill get luck. i cant stand playing anything without ambient occulsion or direct x 11. thats my whole reason im on here is because maby someone like yourself, and thank you can possible get me to run arkham city flawlessly with this board and gpu.
i really strongly feel without a physics card it is freaking possible if i just tweak it.....
m
l
August 26, 2012 10:20:02 AM

Quote:
I got a headache just trying to comprehend.. :??: 

I am basically trying to tweak my system without a physics card to max out arkham city. its almost perfect as it is but gets buggy aroung anything that has to do with ambient occulsion. im trying to oc my system to get it just right. i feel strongly it is possible to run with my specs. nvidia gtx 560 ti, intel core i5 2500, 8 gbs of ddr3 1333, and the asus sabertooth p67. i know and am sure this can be done lol. im trying what he said.
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:02:12 PM

all of you are so helpful. i am running now at 4.1 ghz no problem. i have almost, almost outstanding performance in AC. do i dare to tweak it higher? maby i do. now i am at a better understanding on how the voltages work. Do i dare to increase the voltages in afterburner? probable not the brightest idea but im so darn close. i am at a resolution of 1920 x 1080p at 60 hertz. im so close!!!! omg!! i have everything set to high, physics acceleration is set to high. i know this is possible. i almost want to post a youtube video to show you. im thinking about saying screw it and overclocking my Pcie frequency in the ai tweaker a bit more. im scared with my life but i just feel it in my veins that it is possible. i really dont think i need to buy another 560 ti. shall i just keep raising my voltage? this board has incredible protection so if anything itll just tell my it failed ha. should i give up on trying to get more than 30 fraps all maxed out and quit wasting my time till i get a physics card?
m
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 7:30:49 PM

Quote:
:pt1cable: 

Quote:

Quote:
i am successfully overclocked to 4.5 ghz and honestly, theres literally no difference between the two boards that i see.

I don't get it anymore. [:lutfij:2]
m
l
a c 139 V Motherboard
a c 116 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 7:32:09 PM

amuffin said:
Quote:

Quote:
i am successfully overclocked to 4.5 ghz and honestly, theres literally no difference between the two boards that i see.

I don't get it anymore. [:lutfij:2]

That, and the fact that I had to explain voltages, lol.
m
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 7:35:04 PM

Well, he said he was going to explain overclocking.......
m
l
a c 139 V Motherboard
a c 116 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 7:37:19 PM

amuffin said:
Well, he said he was going to explain overclocking.......

Yep, that's what I mean. Not sure how much "explaining" he was planning on doing, when he didn't even understand how to increase the voltage.

No offense, OP, it's just the way you started the thread doesn't jive with your actual knowledge.
m
l
August 26, 2012 11:44:59 PM

Best answer selected by iamthaman87.
m
l
August 26, 2012 11:45:16 PM

What DJDeCiBeL clearly said, helped me with my issue. he knew exactally what i was trying to ask for. thank you. it helped by the way. i did follow those steps on my AI tweaker and im fine. i can run my game and get no less than 34 fraps. im finished here and thank you. i got a clear straight up answer. i had to look at this phone as i read your post and did the steps. the reason why i even came on here and made a tread here it goes... i had an older intel board. socket 775 p4 ht dual core. nice right for its time. i was overclocking it with my nice board and i was so curious on how high the voltages could go so i hit the up key on the first one to get it to scroll to the highest voltage and i pressed f2 to get to the exit screen and then like a dumbass i said yes i would like to save to cmos and exit without thinking and then i never saw a screen again and had to grave yard the computer. hope you understand my sensitivity. like i said, i have the answer to my question and im finished have a good day.
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:35:58 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yep, that's what I mean. Not sure how much "explaining" he was planning on doing, when he didn't even understand how to increase the voltage.

No offense, OP, it's just the way you started the thread doesn't jive with your actual knowledge.

thank you. i am not sure if you got my message but your advice helped alot but please read my last post. i was just being over sensative because i ruined a 200 dollar board because of my stupidity and curiousity of how high the voltages could go and iw as just afraid to rais them but now im not lol. i just needed the intervals basically. youtube wouldnt like show you them or google. you know, when you want to type like 0.085 or something. i dont know if it would be safe or not to increast them on your graphics card, i will not even try. i know most about overclocking, i just had a fear about my last expierence. i remember back when the old amd had the overclockable egg software u could install and clock it like that but you couldnt by not even 200 mhz lol it was a pointless software. not sure if you know what im talking about but it was old school. i was cracking up laughing when i saw an egg pop up and it had an arrow up and down button lol, this was around the time windows xp didnt even have a service pack yet. technology just over seeded me. i know the basics though.
m
l