Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Port confusion: DVI, HDMI, HDTV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2010 1:52:53 AM

Hi all,

First thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I've read up on HDMI, DVI-A/D/I, HDCP.

Question: GeForce cards report having DVI and HDTV ports (those I'm interested in) and Radeons often report DVIs and HDMI.

Is NVidia just calling HDMIs HDTVs ports or those are a completely different kinds of ports? If so, what is the difference between HDMI and HDTV ports? It's very confusing when you compare card specs...

Thank you!

Best solution

a c 1397 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 2:02:00 AM
January 10, 2010 2:05:43 AM

Ya i dont know why NVIDIA calls a S-Video a "HDTV Connector".
Because it only supports 480i resolution. LOL
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2010 2:18:38 AM

Thanks guys! Clever - should have thought of looking at a pic of an NVIDIA card ;-). So there is no NVIDIA model out there that takes sound (so it can support an HDMI port)?

And ya, calling s-video HDTV is ridiculous...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 2:44:41 AM

fpsdominator said:
Ya i dont know why NVIDIA calls a S-Video a "HDTV Connector".
Because it only supports 480i resolution. LOL

No, it's not just an S-video connector :non:  , it's a 7 pin Mini-DIN connector, S-vid is only outside 4 pins, the inside three in triangle support composit RCA out, but when switched all 7 provide the Y Pb Pr or RGB component output, which supports 'natively' 720P/1080i.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 2:52:24 AM

yeah7 said:
Thanks guys! Clever - should have thought of looking at a pic of an NVIDIA card ;-). So there is no NVIDIA model out there that takes sound (so it can support an HDMI port)?

There are also nV cards that support HDMI out of the DVI port with adapter, and they will carry SPDIF audio if you connect an appropriate input into the card from either the audio chip/card header or another SPDIF connector like toslink or co-ax or co-ax to wire adapter.

In the first link by rolli to that GTX265 you can see both the HDMI adapter and the SPDIF cable hardess in the final box content photos.

Quote:
And ya, calling s-video HDTV is ridiculous...

See above, what's ridiculous is confusing the two and making judgments before knowing. :pfff: 

m
l
January 10, 2010 2:58:29 AM

Thanks, just figured out how to use newegg for find specific cards based on your link.

I'm torn between the HD 5850 (maybe HD 5770) and GTX 280 but the NVIDIA lacks DirectX11 support and I can't find any of those models with HDMI at a normal price.

Thanks for your help, I'll create another topic on whether I should go with HD 5850 or HD 5770.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 3:10:21 AM

Well if you're looking to get the BEST Audio+Video support, then you have to go with the HD5xxx series, because the nVidia cards only support 5.1 compress audio (and only 2 channel LPCM), whereas the HD5xxx support, HDMI 1.3a with both great video including x.v.YCC colour to 12 bit per channel and better audio support (uncompressed 8 channel LPCM plus lossless audio DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD).

m
l
!