OCZ Aglity 3 Read and Write speeds on Asus x58 sabertooth mobo

mogan

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hi guys,

Planning to buy a ocz agility 3 ssd.Can anyone tell me the read and write speeds on Asus x58 sabertooth motherboard when connected to sata 3 port and also with intel ICH10R ports?

I am not aware of any synthetic benchmarks for the OCZ Agility 3 and Asus x58 Sabertooth motherboard combination.

The motherboard is an older socket LGA 1366 board equipped with a Marvel 9128 Controller that supports two SATA 3 6GB/s ssd's. That would be the two gray colored SATA ports on the motherboard. It is an old Controller. That Marvell controller uses only one PCI-e channel which really limits performance.

The Intel ICH10R chipset supports SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. If you connect the OCZ Agility 3 SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd to one of the Intel SATA 2 ports, then the ssd performance will be restricted to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels. Best guess is somewhere around 250 MB/s to 265 MB/s for sequential read and write speeds.

Actual solid state drive performance will differ from published specifications and benchmarks.

kingkirk1986

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey,ive just got the ocz agility 3-
Problem is when i connect it to the GREY port's 6gbs it boot's real nice and fast but soon as i attempt install a game it will work for about two min's then my hdd light on my actual tower will stay on solid and the installation will just sit there not responding untill i ctrl alt del it. The pc is still usable while this is happening.

I have set it to ACHI in the bios from ide etc, now if i was to connect it to the other sata port's i can install anything with out no problem's what so ever. The board it self is a Asus SaberTooth X-58.

Im just curious really as ive seen a few forum's saying it's marvell then other's saying it's ocz they are rubbish etc.

Anyway main thing i really want to know is am i only using half of the SSD'S potential the way im running it now? and will it be a world of difference if i actually got it to work in the 6gbs socket?

Hope it sorta make's sense.
Many thank's Kirk ;)

Kingkirk1986 - Sounds to me like you're doing some wishful thinking. The answer to both of your questions is no. Unless you are running very large and very complicated financial, scientific, or professional applications your eyes and brains will probably not notice any major difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3. SATA 3 does not perform twice as fast as SATA2.

I am curious. Did you install Microsoft Windows 7 on your ssd before you enabled ACHI in the System BIOS?

kingkirk1986

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello Johnny,thanks for the fast reply has put my mind at ease more. And yes I did install windows 7 first before changing to ACHI,should I have changed it prior to installing windows?

Thanks again.

Yes. Once you had the new ssd installed inside your case and the cables connected you should have started the pc and immediately gone into the System BIOS to change to ACHI mode. Then you should have saved the BIOS settings and continued the bootup process. Then install Windows 7, drivers, applications, utilities, and anything else you want on the ssd.

There is a way to correct the problem. You can go into the Windows Registry and make a change manually. If you are comfortable doing that, then here are the official Microsoft instructions:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.

2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4.Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

8. Restart your pc.

Hmm...after all this time these topics are still coming-up...

The Marvell 912X craps out 370MB/s~390MB/s ; it's a shared PCIe x1 lane chipest.

The Marvell 918X craps out 530MB/s~550+MB/s ; it's a shared PCIe x2 lane chipest.

The Intel ICH10R craps out 290MB/s~295MB/s

The newer Gigabyte G1 and the OC X58's offer the Marvell 9182 Chipset. Otherwise you looking at a Dedicated RAID Cards that cost more than your MOBO.

carlos1984

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I just finished my first build with I5 2500k, gigabyte mobo,8 gb ram and 60 Agility 3 ssd. I would advise you not to get h Agility 3, The product sheet' http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility3_Product_sheet.pdf
states " Sequential Read AS-SSD 180 MB/s" and "Sequential Write AS-SSD65 MB/s" but they gome because Inever looked ath product sheet and just went o the OCZ site; http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html. Which gives me :60GB Max Performance*
Max Read: up to 525MB/s
Max Write: up to 475MB/s
Random Write 4KB: 50,000 IOPS
Maximum 4K Random Write: 80,000 IOPS
SO i ws expecting awesome numbers from AS SSDbenchmark but my read and write numbers were 189 mb/s and 70 mb/s. Sucks because thats not evn half of the 525 mb/s on theirwebpages. I shouldhave gotten the Vertex 3 for only a few more dollars. Its product sheet :http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex3_Product_Sheet.pdf

Sequential Read AS-SSD 455 MB/s and Sequential Write AS-SSD
85 MB/s and as for the webpage numbers they are roughly the same as Agility 3. I dontunderstand why hey do this.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

60GB Max Performance
Max Read: up to 535MB/s
Max Write: up to 480MB/s
Random Write 4KB: 60,000 IOPS
Maximum 4K Random Write: 80,000 IOPS

In conclusion ifyouwant higher numbers go with theEertex 3, Now Im not say Agility 3 is bad but Iwould go with Vertex 3 if I could goback anddotall over again.

Actual solid state drive performance will differ from published specifications and benchmarks. Companies choose a benchmark that makes their ssd's look most favorable. Some companies manipulate the benchmarks to make their ssd's look even more favorable. There is a reason the benchmarks are called "synthetic benchmarks". At best they are only a very very rough approximation of real world performance.

You have a 60GB ssd. The general rule of thumb is a small capacity ssd will not perform as well as a large capacity ssd. That's why companies typically send out 256Gb ssd's for technical reviews.

Please run the ATTO benchmarks and post the results. That's what OCZ uses.

Companies like OCZ and pretty much all SSD manufacturer's use ATTO for their benchmarks, further when the SSD (drives) are tested they are not the OS drives and the Maximum R/W speeds are the fastest/maximum per the entirety of the test.

Further, when Writing uncompressable data or files e.g. MPEG the Writes can drop down to ~80MB/s. For folks who edit and create a lot of video they're typically better off with mechanical HDD's. SSD's real speed it's ability to compress and decompress files on the fly and the speeds are accelerated to the uncompressed e.g. 20MB = compression => 10 MB in addition to the actual R/W speeds. ;)

My 'love' of SSD's is IOPS, its' lack of latency 0.2ms vs 12ms (HDD), random, and by design fragmentation doesn't exist -- data is data wherever it's stored.