Should I consider an upgrade

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Here's my system now:

Q9550
EVGA 750i FTW mobo
4GB G.skill pi DDR2 800

I know my pc is still very respectable, but here's my thinking. I would like to get as much as I can out of my existing parts and now seems like the right time to do it. This will be where the bulk of the funds for the upgrade come from. I am willing to throw in an extra $100 or so to complete the upgrade. here's what I am looking at:

i5 750
P55 SLI capable Motherboard (I have a pair of EVGA GTX 260 SC)
4 GB DDR3 1600 memory

I haven't done much research into the P55 boards yet, as I have just recently begun to think about the upgrade. Any suggestions on them would be great, with the only desire is that it's SLI capable. Thanks for looking everyone

tecmo34

Administrator
I would say it isn't worth the upgrade at this point. As a gaming PC (running two GTX260's, so I'm guessing a gamer), you will not see a big enough increase in frame rates to justify the cost... IMO

Here is a review of the two CPU's and you will only see marginal differences, with most not being noticble to the eye/game play. i5 750 vs Q9550

A i5-750 cpu will not give you a noticeable improvement.

The raptor will not be much better. Even the velociraptor is probably not worth it today.

If you are interested in a better boot drive, consider the 40gb intel X25-V SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025

It will not help gaming except perhaps level loads, but your PC will boot faster, and everything will feel snappier.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Have you seen the THG article on building a balanced PC? It just happens that one of the CPUs used in the review is the Q9550 and it shows you will get very little performance increase from a faster CPU unless you have a graphics card equivalent to the GTX 295 - and up till then - and in most games - the increases, with the Q9550, come from increasing the graphics card rather than CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469.html

To optimize game performance, I suggest waiting 6 to 9 months for the new nVidia cards to arrive and then a bit more for the new product premium price to go away and get them. Use "old" system for a year or so more then upgrade.