EyeInfinity + Crossfire 5770x2

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
So, apprantly the new 9.12 Catalyst drivers support EyeInfinity + CrossFire.
However, I'm told it's buggy.
But what I don't know is whether or not you can finally use DVI+DVI on the first card and a single DVI on the second, or if you're stills tuck to DVI+DVI+DP on the first card only.

I have two Samsung 2343 (23" 2048x1152) monitors right now and I'm going to get a a used 5770 for cheap tomorrow. I want to just buy a 5850/5870 now, but I'd have to wait a couple months to afford that. By getting a 5770 now, then buying a third Samsung 2343, and eventually getting a second 5770, I don't have to wait a few months all at once, I can enoy it sequentially now. I would have just gone for a 5850 right away, but a mixture of not being able to work (illness) and a boss who screwed up my pay changes that. That, and that to buy a 5850 locally costs about $360-380 (despite the CAD = 0.97 USD right now).

In time, I'd eventually trade up to 2x5890 2GB when I hahve the money (So I could actually use AA/AF), but that's still quite a bit away.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
*** newegg. They aren't getting another cent from me. -_-
As in local I meant shops such as NCIX and MemoryExpress (NCIX s ncie for their dirt cheap express shipping).

9.12 drivers are posted right on the amd/ati site. It was on widescreengamingforum.com that someone said eyeinfinity over crossfire on Catalyst 9.12 drivers.

G

Btw...I made a mistake and bought 5770's with only 1 dvi connector (because they were cheapest ofc).

That means I had to buy (a cheap admittedly) hdmi-dvi connector.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ha. =D

I made sure to pick up a reference card.
No ugly ass egg shaped cooler that recirculates air or 512mb card for me please. =D
Just waiting to have some spare cash to pick up my 2nd 5770 and 3rd 2343.

Though I may get a Dell SP2309W instead of a third Samsung 2343 (HDMI, onboard speakers, webcam, sexy).
And about the VGA/DVI debate on high resolutions, it's been a while since I tested, but my current card doesn't even have a VGA port and I lost my DVI to VGA adaptor to recheck. =D

G

Actually the egg shaped cooler looks pretty good when you see it irl. My HIS one has it, and the pcb is a nice shade of blue and they both combine to make a nice looking card. Way nicer than the arctic cooler on the powercolor play edition.

The HIS one is also running 6-8 degrees cooler too, although some of that can be attributed to it being in slot #2.