Permanently assigning a drive letter to a USB device

Mike

Splendid

I work in a large office most of my machines are XP pro and we use f:
as our fileserver drive, we have many digital camera's. when you
connect them to a pc via USB, XP assigns them drive f: also, so we
have to go into disk management and manually reassign the camera drive
letter every time. Is there a way to avoid this without changing the
fileserver drive letter?

I assume C, D, and E are already used on your system as well. Are you
plugging the USB device into the exact same port every time?

--
Eric Renken
Microsoft Associate Expert.

"Mike" <m.alciati@snet.net> wrote in message
>I work in a large office most of my machines are XP pro and we use f:
> as our fileserver drive, we have many digital camera's. when you
> connect them to a pc via USB, XP assigns them drive f: also, so we
> have to go into disk management and manually reassign the camera drive
> letter every time. Is there a way to avoid this without changing the
> fileserver drive letter?

Mike

Splendid

"Eric Renken" <ericrenken@msn.com> wrote in message news:<O5XWJ4AsEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> I assume C, D, and E are already used on your system as well. Are you
> plugging the USB device into the exact same port every time?
>
> --
> Eric Renken
> Microsoft Associate Expert.
> Expert Zone
>

> "Mike" <m.alciati@snet.net> wrote in message
> >I work in a large office most of my machines are XP pro and we use f:
> > as our fileserver drive, we have many digital camera's. when you
> > connect them to a pc via USB, XP assigns them drive f: also, so we
> > have to go into disk management and manually reassign the camera drive
> > letter every time. Is there a way to avoid this without changing the
> > fileserver drive letter?

This is correct, those letters are in use and I am using the same port.