Sign in with
Your question

Help me decide on cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
August 25, 2012 4:08:06 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning a new build (my first, actually), and I'm looking for some cooling advice. I'll be running two Xeon E5645s (2.4ghz stock) OC'd to ~3.8ghz or as high as I can. This system will be used primarily for CG work, including the occasional long and intensive rendering session. Also, I'd prefer not to spend any more that $250 for cooling.

The ideal cooling solution for me is something that strikes a nice balance between simplicity and maintaining consistently safe temps. I'm not overly concerned with looks, starting a new hobby, or getting the lowest temps humanly possible. I just want something that gets the job done and won't give me too many headaches.

My first thought was going with two H100s since they're easy to setup and maintain. I'm now considering a custom loop like the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 kit, which is more work to setup/maintain but cools better, can always be upgraded, and actually costs less than two H100s even with the second CPU block. Of course, I'd love to just use air, but I'm afraid it just wouldn't do the job, especially since I'd likely have to go with less powerful heatsinks out of concern for size.

In your opinion, which solution is right for me? The Raystorm 750, H100s, or can I get away with air?

Thanks so much!

More about : decide cooling

a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 12:00:14 AM

If you want simplicity, honestly go for the H100, you won't get any simpler. That means no cutting tubing on your part, fittings, filling the loop, etc. It'll save you a good deal of hassle. The XSPC kit you mentioned won't cool as well as 2 h100s, simply because you're comparing 2 240mm radiators (2 h100s) to 1 240mm radiator in the XSPC kit.

I don't know much about mounting two air coolers on a motherboard, so I don't know how air cooling would work for you, but hopefully this helps.
August 26, 2012 2:29:04 PM

Thanks scopey86 for your feedback.

I think for me simplicity will win out in the end. Even before I saw your reply I was starting to lean back towards the H100s for precisely that reason. And you make a good point about the two radiators as compared to one.

I'll likely do a bit more research, and of course other opinions are welcome, but for the time being the H100s are back atop my list.

Thanks again!
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 4:19:28 PM

The sticky has some good choices for first time builders on a CPU loop.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ng-sticky.

I like the XSPC RX 360 kit but that is me and I would be doing more with the system later so this would be a good starter for me.

I have a build log now if you would like to take a look at it and see where I have gone with water cooling since I started 15 years ago

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ator-build
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 10:47:39 PM

You'll need at least a 360mm rad and 2 cpu blocks!
August 26, 2012 11:33:13 PM

my two cents is build your own custom loop. but you will need more than $250 to do so. what case do you have?
August 27, 2012 2:39:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Quote:
You'll need at least a 360mm rad and 2 cpu blocks!

Why at least a 360mm rad? Because of the second CPU block?

Quote:
my two cents is build your own custom loop. but you will need more than $250 to do so. what case do you have?

I haven't bought anything yet, but was looking at the Xigmatek Elysium http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've also been asking about cooling at the EVGA forums (I'd be using an SR-2 as my mobo), and someone suggested that two Hyper 212 Plus' would be enough? Any thoughts on this? I'd certainly prefer to go with air if it would do the job.

Thanks!
August 27, 2012 3:01:37 PM

that case says you can put a 420mm rad in the top, which would be plenty for two cpus. i doubt 2 212s would fit in a case, but the setup you want isnt in front of me. get the pc built first and measure how much room you have left and if you have room,get the 212s. im sure they will work fine as long as they fit and the case has good airflow.
August 28, 2012 7:01:05 PM

tjosborne said:
that case says you can put a 420mm rad in the top, which would be plenty for two cpus. i doubt 2 212s would fit in a case, but the setup you want isnt in front of me. get the pc built first and measure how much room you have left and if you have room,get the 212s. im sure they will work fine as long as they fit and the case has good airflow.

Thanks tjosborne, I think I will go for the Hyper 212+' this round. They're so cheap that if I need something more down the line it's not that big a loss.

Thanks again!
August 28, 2012 8:31:30 PM

yep, no problem. good luck with your build!
!