Advice for older Motherboard

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I have an older Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MB with the LGA 775 CPU. Right now it has a 2.67 Ghz Chip and I'm wondering If its worth upgrading the CPU. I am planning a new build, because of money it'll take me awhile.
So will updating the CPU in my older system actually get me anything?
I was looking at a 3.00 Ghz CPU with the same core 2duo, and not the quad because again of money issues as the one I was looking at was around $170.00 versus almost $300 for a quad.
The other question is can I just replace the chip without changing anything else? So after the new chip is installed the PC will fire up same as before and detect the new CPU, and everything will be ok?
I just figured it might get me a little more performance until I can build my new system.

Hi.

1- Yeah u can upgrade the CPU until the Core 2 Duo E8600 that is the max CPU supported in your budget for that mobo. You can check here the CPU support list for the Rev 1.0 of the mobo and here the CPU support list for the Rev 2.0 of the mobo.
2- Before u can install the new CPU u need update the BIOS version of the mobo to the F8 version for the Core 2 Duo E8600. Check the manual to know how u can do this.