Possible CPU problem?

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I don't even know where to post this thread but, well... here it goes. My mobo is and old Intel LGA 775 with a Celeron D 2.9GHz, it has 1.5 GB DDR, one 80GB 5400rpm SATA drive and another 320GB 7200rpm SATA. An old Creative Audiogy Z3 I think, and a very old nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB VRAM.

All my problems started like six months ago when I cleaned my PC. Previously I only used a hairdryer to clean the insides and everything was fine, but for the last moths the PC started to have heating issues so I decided to do a more extensive cleaning job. Unfortunately when I dismounted the CPU fan I realized it was so old and deformed that I couldn't place it back. Then I had to buy a new fan and everything was "fine" again.

Like a month ago I made another mistake, I overclocked my old nvidia card from 200MHz/400MHZ to 225MHz/440MHz. Everything was fine, but this computer is not only mine... so when another one used it just went black. When you turned on the PC it was displayed a message saying that the Serial Presence Detect was missing or inconclusive, something like that I really don't remember. I had to reinstall Windows and it worked, but It was constantly shutting down.

The last error I made was like a week ago, when I kicked my PC very hard. It stopped working and showed that the CPU was overheated and that you could try to repair Windows. When I tried to do that the computer just freezed. I bought a new Pentium 4 HT processor with a more efficient fan. The first time everything was fine but I only had connected the monitor, mouse and keyboard. When I plugged everything else it just stopped working (again!), it freezed in the loading screen.

It didn’t let me reinstall any OS and even a live CD wouldn’t work. Then now I turn on my PC and everything mysteriously just works normally... what a hell is wrong with this PC?!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Firstly make sure that everything is seated and connected properly. If you kicked it you may have dislodged something or caused something to become loose. This may explain the intermittent problems you seem to be having. Remove everything that can be removed - RAM, Heatsink & Fan, Graphics Card, any PCI cards etc. Then put each component back in. Try this first and post back.

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

I did that many times, the only thing that was still loose was the DVD drives. I reconected them and thats when I could turn it on normally... But I really think a loose DVD drive shouldnt have been a problem.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
How are your temps looking? HWMonitor is an ideal tool to use to keep an eye on these:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Remove your graphics card and try it using the onboard graphics solution. If you have more than one stick of memory then try using one at a time in each slot on your motherboard. This will help determine if you have a bad RAM stick. Do you know what PSU you are using? Make and model number should be on a label on the PSU somewhere.

G

HA, you kicked it, ouch, my guess is that it is broken in mysterious ways, but after hair dryers, Over-clocking and a good kicking, your old system goes on strike every-so-often.