Solved Closed

Nickel and Brass reaction?

I just ordered a metric ton of water-cooling parts and was wondering if the Nickel plated blocks I ordered are going to react with the Brass tubing in my radiator. That will determine if i need to put in any anti corrosion stuff in my loop. If anyone knows that would be superb!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about nickel brass reaction
  1. Best answer
  2. I just read a lengthy article on Tom's stating that basically it will corrode, however it will do it very slowly because the two metals are so close on the galvanic scale and i will be using distilled water in the loop. Now that's got me wondering what more I can do to inhibit that. It listed some anti-freeze's that have anti-corrosion properties but I was wondering where to get this stuff and what negative side effects there are going to be from adding it (because there always are). Do you know of any anti-corrosion additive that one could drop in that wont change the color of the fluid (similar to how the anti-algae work)?
  3. Brass and nickel in a loop are fine- it's aluminum you want to avoid in a loop with nickel, brass and copper.
  4. I am looking into that myself and I am currently using a mix with 3% water wetter 97% distilled water and 3 drops of HTH super extended algae guard added every 2 months to the system and the whole system is flushed/filled every 6 months.

I do not know if it works yet as it has only been 2 months, but I have used water wetter 3% antifreeze 17% distilled water 80% for years the only issue I found is that the temps would be a couple of degrees higher and the tubing would be stained green.

Here you can have a look at my build if you like, it explains a lot of the process that I went through.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimental-radiator-build
  5. rubix_1011 said:
    Brass and nickel in a loop are fine- it's aluminum you want to avoid in a loop with nickel, brass and copper.

Hey rubix, is there any actual time you can determine if your stuff has galvanic corrosion or gets gunked up? Is it just based on visuals, or something like your temps increasing?
  6. I know you did not ask me but the answer is 3 to 6 months if it is going to happen but it can occur in a couple of weeks with the right conditions just like adding a metal bar to a bucket of water
  7. I looked into it and I think I'm gonna stick with plain ol' distilled with some pure silver g1/4 plugs for algae, and drain/fill the whole system every 6 months. ( http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15814/ex-tub-1255/Monsoon_999_Fine_Silver_Bullet_Antimicrobial_G_14_Plug_-_Black_MON-PLUG-AG-BLK.html?tl=g30c103s1676&id=ro7DBpMg&mv_pc=4731 ) dunno anyone who has used em but I liked the idea of them better than a kill coil possibly floating around in my new system. Tell me what ya think.
  8. That looks pretty cool, and they should work just like a kill coil, I have never used them myself but many have and say they work so this should work as well
  9. amuffin said:
    Hey rubix, is there any actual time you can determine if your stuff has galvanic corrosion or gets gunked up? Is it just based on visuals, or something like your temps increasing?

Most of it is visual to some degree- you see some strange cloudiness in your water, but you can tell it's moving and not clouded tubing. Fittings might have a weird greenish, dried-toothpaste crust around them (this is definitely an indicator) and if it gets bad enough, your blocks won't cool as effectively since the majority of their surface area is some sort of pin matrix or grid of some sort which will almost always be one of the first places you'll see corrosive build up.
  10. Would nickel or chrome brass tube plating prevent this corrosion?or is it safe to use brass or bronze tubing?
  11. This thread has been inactive for almost 6 years. I am going to close it, but will answer the question. In the future, please open a new thread for comments.

Brass and bronze are fine to use with nickel and copper, although they can still cause corrosion if left without inhibitors for long enough a period. Aluminum is the one metal that is far enough away on the scale that will react more than others.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Overclocking