Artifacts and instability without overheating

gx240

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm using an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT with up-to-date drivers on Windows 7 64-bit, and I've just started having problems. At random times my screen fills up with graphical disruptions, and then usually freeze up completely right after. Also the screen sometimes blacks out then recovers and gives me the following message:

96633180.jpg

I've seen stuff like this before on other computers, but it was always caused by overheating and that doesn't seem to be the case here. I've tried turning up the GPU fan, and the GPU temperature hovers around 50C when idle and 60C while in use. I've had it lock up like this at 50C, could it actually be overheating at that temperature? If not, what else causes problems like this?

G

Hi, i have the same problem with my 8600 GTS. I have found that most og my problems were caused nVidia PhysX being activated.

So, i deactivated PhysX and now the card looks stable. But it isn't trully. There seems to be some problems with the board's memory. I've installed riva tuner and underclocked all: core, shaders and memory by 10%. Now the card is 100% stable.